By alexbrooke - 27/09/2013 02:33 - United States - Paintsville

Today, I was cutting a client's hair, and she was complaining about how itchy her head was from having it too long. As I lay down my comb and shears, three lice bugs ran across my counter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 966
You deserved it 3 798

alexbrooke tells us more.

wow! at a couple of these comments. For one anyone who say I should have done a full inspection...really? You have had time to thoroughly inspect each client? You must have never been busy. I was so busy that morning I didnt shampoo my client, secondly I didnt even brush her hair out before i did the cut. When she sat in my chair her hair hit thr floor. she asks for one length, straight across her back. now she had very dark hair and any cosmetologist knows its easier to see in lighter hair. I had a cutting comb so I must have brushed some out as i drug my comb down to length to do my cut check. I was almost on my knees trying to cut this hair. Anyways its was properly handled, i left that station and everything there until the salon was empty and I used barbacide on the whole place and my utensils. Plus any cosmetologist knows once I start cutting that head, I cant stop even if I see the infestation, I have to finish, and follow company and state guidelines.

Top comments

Walk away. Just walk away and tell her to stop by the store on the way home.

AnOriginalName 19

Well that's a hairy situ.... Just kidding. But seriously, that sucks. Time to disinfect the whole place?

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
meganmagee 11

lice actually do not infest dirty hair. so, telling the person to wash their hair wouldn't help the situation because them being clean is actually why they were infested.

CockAsian 14

And you would actually have to wash it with special formulated shampoo to actually kill the lice. Or wear tight enough tights like I did to suffocate them.

29, that's actually a myth. While lice do not only infest unwashed "dirty" hair, they appear to have no preference. Lice will infest any type of hair, greasy or not.

35-- Noooo! Don't burst my bubble! I will let my kid go without washing his hair for a few days during lice season due to the dirty hair myth. (I know, I am a terrible mother, but I would rather deal with dirty hair than lice.)

They will go either or, but prefer clean hair. Many people consider dirty hair to be the reason for love, but it's not, that's the point.

As a fellow hairdresser, I'm kinda feeling the YDI on this one! Part of your job is checking for that and doing a full scalp inspection before you start! Definitely a nasty, shitty thing to happen to you, I'm sorry and it totally sucks, but it can be avoided!

Yeah I thought this was a lot more common for hairdressers to go through but I guess not.

I voted YDI for the same reason. I am not a hairdresser but I remember some things that were taught in highschool cosmetology class. Inspecting your client's scalp for problems was one of the first rules we had to learn. I'm sorry OP. It does suck but at least this is a lesson hopefully learned for the next client you work on. Try to have a good day at work regardless. :)

Even with a full scalp check you could still miss one.

Lizzy500 16

THREE ran across the counter off the comb. That sounds like a pretty hefty infestation to me.

you could miss one, but if the client is complaining about her scalp being itchy she's already infected. and probably been that way for a couple days. meaning it isn't "one" to miss its colonies, that is hard to miss. scalp irritation, flaking and obvious clusters of things moving. if you comb through the clients head like you are supposed to, it shows on your comb immediately. a lot of people will come into the salon and expect you to take care of the lice and not tell you that they have it, because people are assholes and won't take blame for anything.

ninjuh_wingman 29

I think it's safe to say you should probably get an exterminator and just spray everything.

Missyeru 14

YDI to be honest... I used to do hair for a living and while you brush your clients hair you should always check for eggs/bugs, unless your school didn't teach you that then FYL

You deserve it because the client has lice, dammit! Though I agree she should've checked, that wouldn't have changed the fact that they were there.

Missyeru 14

If she checked and noticed them, she would have just treated them. The risk of clients having lice is in the job description, and if OP didn't check that's her slacking on salon safety/ sanitation.

buttcramp 21

when i took my cosmetology classes they taught us to run our fingers and a comb or two through the client's hair during the consultation to avoid problems like this.

Do you guys, um, prejudge if you will use your fingers or a comb? I would freak out if I saw a louse jump on my hand.

buttcramp 21

visibly dirty, use a comb and shampoo first

65 - Lice can't jump, they are strictly 'walkers'. ;)

lollypop30001 19

My grandma is a retired hair dresser and all my aunt are hair dresser. First they remove all the hair from the comb and brush. Then they soak it in a bleach Solution for about 2 hours, then the boil them it very hot water. My youngest Aunt has he own place she always has lice shampoo on hand. You would be surprise on how many people come in with lice. After wards you have to hose everything down.

where do you live? in most places it's just soaking the instruments in a hospital grade disinfectant, marvicide 2, for 5-10 minutes then finding in hot water and left to dry. the removing of ask hair is of course still the same, but that sounds like some old old school practices and not anywhere near as sanitary.

I have a friend who is a graduate of beauty school and she said this is surprisingly common. Apparently, one of her instructors had an issue where a client was covered in FLEAS, which would be just as bad