By alexbrooke - 27/09/2013 02:33 - United States - Paintsville

Today, I was cutting a client's hair, and she was complaining about how itchy her head was from having it too long. As I lay down my comb and shears, three lice bugs ran across my counter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 966
You deserved it 3 798

alexbrooke tells us more.

wow! at a couple of these comments. For one anyone who say I should have done a full inspection...really? You have had time to thoroughly inspect each client? You must have never been busy. I was so busy that morning I didnt shampoo my client, secondly I didnt even brush her hair out before i did the cut. When she sat in my chair her hair hit thr floor. she asks for one length, straight across her back. now she had very dark hair and any cosmetologist knows its easier to see in lighter hair. I had a cutting comb so I must have brushed some out as i drug my comb down to length to do my cut check. I was almost on my knees trying to cut this hair. Anyways its was properly handled, i left that station and everything there until the salon was empty and I used barbacide on the whole place and my utensils. Plus any cosmetologist knows once I start cutting that head, I cant stop even if I see the infestation, I have to finish, and follow company and state guidelines.

Top comments

Walk away. Just walk away and tell her to stop by the store on the way home.

AnOriginalName 19

Well that's a hairy situ.... Just kidding. But seriously, that sucks. Time to disinfect the whole place?

Comments

YDI for not checking her hair before you started.

i would so ask her to leave and not come back until she has her lice infestation dealt with

most likely the stylist has something that can deal with it in the store. It is just that it is gross. Too #69 hairstylists have a jar or small tub of this bluish disinfectant that is made just for killing things like lice and what not. After each customer they are SUPPOSED to place the tools they used last in there to cleanse it of anything like this.

wow! at a couple of these comments. For one anyone who say I should have done a full inspection...really? You have had time to thoroughly inspect each client? You must have never been busy. I was so busy that morning I didnt shampoo my client, secondly I didnt even brush her hair out before i did the cut. When she sat in my chair her hair hit thr floor. she asks for one length, straight across her back. now she had very dark hair and any cosmetologist knows its easier to see in lighter hair. I had a cutting comb so I must have brushed some out as i drug my comb down to length to do my cut check. I was almost on my knees trying to cut this hair. Anyways its was properly handled, i left that station and everything there until the salon was empty and I used barbacide on the whole place and my utensils. Plus any cosmetologist knows once I start cutting that head, I cant stop even if I see the infestation, I have to finish, and follow company and state guidelines.

It take less than a minute to part the hair at the scalp a few times to make sure there is no eggs or movement. And eggs are obvious on dark hair.

Um, you're not supposed to finish. You're supposed to send them home. By keeping her there, you run the risk of spreading the lice to the other clients and yourself. And the commenter above me is right, it takes seconds to part the hair. You're supposed to check every client while you start parting.

So this poor lady is now running around with half of her hair cut? I'm not a hairdresser but if you've already got to disinfect what's the problem with just finishing the cut?

The problem is that it's against state barbering regulations, and your shop can be closed and your license revoked. Is that not enough of a problem?

Lizzy500 16

You didn't even BRUSH her hair out?? How in the hell are you going to get a straight cut on un-brushed hair????

Lizzy500 16

Also, lice are white. They are easiest to see in dark hair. I think you know you effed up and are trying to make excuses.

OK the part I left out ANOTHER cosmetologist washed and throuoghly brushed this clients hair. I used a cutting comb and brushed down to where I was suppose to cut. by the time she had been brushed they had probably been stirred up so I grabbed some with my comb. furthermore, even in a cosmetology handbook it states once the service is started it must be finished, state regulations are then follow for proper cleanup and sanitation.

ABByLeeVashe 17

I don't think I have ever gotten a hair cut that involved a lice check. It's just not something they do with every client.

I'm in cosmetology school, and I know for a fact that it is illegal to cut a client hair without checking for lice and/or other parasites. if they do have lice, you are forbidden to finish the service you are preforming. you just put your entire salon at risk by not checking for lice. that's a TDLR regulation, YDI.

jillian2296 11

you do realize that rules and regulations could be different for each hair salon and/or state.

I'm pretty sure parasites are everywhere, and just because they might be in different states doesn't mean its okay to potentially infest your salon with them. some of the laws vary by state, but not this one.

maybe in your state, but obviously not in OP's

haileyshelton 14

108, lice eggs and the bugs adapt to the color of your hair.

?? .. I get fairly regular cuts and never ONCE in the past have I EVER gotten my head checked for lice.. (never had head lice)

amayasoma 19

I'm a student in cosmetology, and you are always suppose to check. Even if it is busy, you need to. You run the risks of getting the shop closed down and others infected. Now on my state, we are not allowed to finish the service if an infection is found. Why? To disinfectant asap and such. Sorry ya had to deal with lice, but hopefully now you will start doing a quick check.

wow you guys make it seem like lice can jump and fly! lice can only crawl, and they move slowly when they are not on human heads. you are supposed to finish the poor client's head! you can absolutely not send them out with half coloured or half cut hair, that's more disgusting than lice. you finish up the service, then tell them before they can come back they need to comb out all lice + nits. it's not going to infect the whole salon! geez. some people overreact about the littlest things sometimes.

YDI. I had to make an account just to comment on this one after lurking for years. As a hairdresser myself I know you should know better. You should be doing a quick check on every single client before you start the service. Every salon I've ever worked at has allowed me to refuse service at that point, but not once I've started the hair cut. Beauty school teaches us to check too. So you should know better and you 100% Deserved it.

As I stated before I was covered up that day, I didn't shampoo or comb out her hair. it was a 0 elevation cut, I had no reason to part. knits are small, the bugs are harder to see is what I said.

wowwew once again. Another cosmetologist washed and brushed her. I did use a cutting comb and ran down her hair, thar must have been when I pulled some bugs out. NO according to guidelines if they are not seen until AFTER service has started them you must finish the service and follow with cleaning and sanitizing procedures, which I did. you are but shut down, there was other clients with other cosmetologists, I began procedure and threw everything washable away and used hospital grade barbecide on the entire salon. I did inform her privately. I cannot blast her out in front of anyone.

Obey_StudBoii 23

I agree with 88 ya this is probably going to get buried but when she says her head is itchy you should immediatly consider lice. I know I do and I'm not even a hairdresser

Well just because it's itchy doesn't automatically mean lice. When I was 10 my hair itched like crazy but it wasn't lice, it was dandruff.

Missyeru 14

I'm with 88 on this one, and stick with my original statement. YDI. I'm sure my comment will get downvoted, but OP based on what you are saying your salon broke quite a few regulations. Even if someone else washed/brushed your clients hair that person should have done a quick subtle scalp examination. It doesn't matter if it's a 0 elevation cut, you SHOULD still put your hands in your clients hair and 'play' with their hair when you first sit them down. Since you don't seem to know, that 'playing/touching" of the hair isn't just for fun, it's to examining the scalp, feeling the condition of the hair, and it makes your client feel at ease/relaxed while you're giving them a very sly inspection! This whole process takes 1-3 min depending on how long you talk. I don't care how busy you are, you NEVER skip this! If she has full bugs in her hair, she's probably really badly infected, and the second you saw the bug you should have stopped everything, calmly let her know what was up, let the other stylist who did brush her hair know, because if you were as busy as you say you were, the girl who just brushed your clients hair was probably working on another client for another stylist. That there is how a lice breakout happens. Also I want to point out in your original response you said it was a dry cut, when in your second response you said someone else washed her hair... Make up your mind. Honestly, and maybe this is a little too much tough love, but I'm so glad I don't go to your salon.

I get my hair washed the have a blow dry, straighten then dry cut, doesn't mean she's lying.

#140, she never stated it was a dry cut, she wrote that she did not wash or brush the clients hair. then went on to say that another worker did that for her.

Could easily be a FML for the client as well.

Is it just me, or shouldn't part of every cut be a quick comb through to make sure their aren't any knots?

MikaykayUnicorn 36

Did you read op's follow up? ....

When I posted this question that piece of her many follow-ups had not been explained.

ulissey_fml 22

OP was right to respect her contract bonds. She had lice, hence, to kill.

ulissey_fml 22

People on this site never appreciate a good pun.. Kudos to you #95 I enjoyed your pun haha

thereseg69 7

Scientific brushing ever cross your lazy mind???