By ConstructionLady - 13/11/2012 06:49 - United States

Today, I was conducting a meeting regarding safety concerns on my field site. While I made a comment, a client rep yelled out that women don't know construction, and that I should be acting like a proper secretary and should get my boss. I'm the Construction Manager. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 717
You deserved it 2 395

Same thing different taste

Top comments

HeyArnold91 8

It always seems that women will be forever defending themselves in male dominated industries

Whenever I read an FML that includes this degree of stupidity and ignorance, I always think, "Please don't be in the US! Please don't be in the US,! Please don't be in th- **** it's in the US"

Comments

perdix 29

Making comments can be a perilous endeavor. Trust me, I know. Earlier today, someone said my joke was bad and I should feel bad. Now, I'm afraid to go out of the house.

That's okay though. You got a groveler as well, so just send him to do all your errands for you while you sit back and relax at home.

RedPillSucks 31

What? Did you wear a dunce cap to a KKK rally, or did you wear a KKK hood to a rap concert?

yousuck44 11

This made me laugh my ass off. I like your commenting style :)

I hope you told him that you're the constuction manager. That would shut him up. And if he's still complaining, send him away. Never worry about idiots like him.

I took electrical construction I'm now 25 a woman but never stuck with being an electrician other opportunities emerged but being a female in a male dominated field you should be used to that behavior by now especially being the manager. If ya can't take a joke or handle some ignorant persons remarks about being in that line of work and show them what you've got to make them feel you know your stuff then maybe you do need a career change.

Woah. I couldn't even read all of that. Poor brain is sore now..

Seriously!!! The first time you heard that stereo types exist wasn't today was it??? If you are going to take a job in a field dominated by the opposite sex grow some thicker skin. And male dominated fields shouldn't exist holy lord the PC patrol is going a little over board here. Do we think that moving companies, mining, and other extremely manual labor jobs should hire 50 percent women now too???? How many of you ladies can carry a sleeper sofa or a piano up a flight of stairs the walk it 100 yards with just one other employee? I full heatedly agree with equal pay for equal jobs but to try to say that certain fields shouldn't be dominated by one sex is just dumb.

Simple minded go figure. You should write an FML about it.

I want to be a carpenter. I'm a female. I'm very good at building things and structures, or so I've been told. It's things like this that hold me back. I get stupid remarks like this all the time. I feel for you OP. FYL.

Don't worry about it. Just do what you want and if somebody thinks you're not fit for the job, prove them wrong and leave them embarrased. It could even be an extra motivation for you, to make sure you're doing a good job because of the "stereotyping"(I hope that's the correct word for it). You shouldn't let others hold you back for their idiocy. :)

RedPillSucks 31

Barriers are not easy to break. You've just got to push through if its something you really want to do. Sometimes you've got to suffer some fools to get to where you need to go, but the best way to deal with it is to do your job well. Sometimes, you have to do more than just your job well. Unfortunately, that's the way of the world.

Construction is still one of those fields that tolerates jack asses that think women should be out of the field, getting coffee and taking notation. I work on a lot of construction sites and have the pleasure of working with several very competent women. Don't let this idiot get you down! Your work will speak for you!

I never did understand why some men are like that, especially in this day and age. The world has changed in case people don't know.

RedPillSucks 31

It takes more than a couple of generations to change attitudes. Especially when there's so much media telling us how to think/act. Girls should play this way, Boys should play that way..., blah, blah, blah.

johnny_derp 3

OP I'm so with you on this one! I'm sick of people loosing their words when I tell them I'm a civil engineer, and then they usually ask me why I have picked this manly field:/

TheKirs10 10

**** him! I'm sure you're awesome at your job!! Keep it up and maybe one day people like him will realize that a persons gender does not dictate the ability to do a job, male dominated or not.

That's more of a **** his life, you get the chance to rub in his face that you're the boss and he can go **** himself.

doodoo10 10

please tell me you retorted by letting him know that....