By jessiluvxx - 25/09/2016 21:08 - United States - Kearny

Today, I was called to be told I'm fired for not showing up for my shift. I guess she didn't check her voice message to see that I gave birth last night. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 226
You deserved it 775

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I smell a large lawsuit giving you enough cash to send your newborn to college! Congratulations on the baby!

Just tell her (to check her voicemail/missed calls) and everything should be fine. That or something happened to it, in which case you could still clear it up with a doctor's note or medical form to prove where you were.

Comments

healthcarechick 9

Um any asshole on here or in real life that says you deserve this is fu**ed up and its all good bc the karma bus will hit them eventually

I accidentally hit the button. sometimes it happens

God, OP, how lazy of you! Don't you know our ancestors would pop out a baby and keep on working minutes later? Obviously giving birth isn't a *real* excuse to be missing work! Seriously, though, your boss is nuts. I hope you either get things cleared up or sue the crap out of them. Congrats on your baby!

Congratulations on your baby OP ! And your boss is a terrible person. I don't know much about work law in the US but where I live she would be soooo ****** if she did that, it's strictly against the law and it's severely punishable. I hope you manage to work it out ! Either way she's an awful human being and karma will get back at her !

mariri9206 32

It is illegal here, too. We have the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) that makes it so you can't be fired or demoted or punished for being unable to work due to family medical issues (for example, having a baby) or, in my mother's case, when both of her parents got stage 4 lung cancer and she had to take some time off work. You don't get paid for it but it's ensuring that your job is still there for you.

Sue and it'll all be fine. Ps what job do you do?

WOW what an asshole. OP you can fight this. She literally can't do that.

At know that in the US you have this thing called at-will employment where you can basically quit your job or be fired at the drop of a hat for the stupidest reasons, but as a European I must say that it still boggles my mind.

In the US, there's also maternal leave though, and you can't be fired for using it if you're having a baby. The more broad term is the FMLA Act, which just ensures your job will be there for at least 6 weeks I think it is, if you've been with a company for at least a year. If she's worked there long enough, she can't be fired for missing due to having a baby.

*edit* "At know" > I know Thanks for the explanation.

But you don't get any money during maternal leave, right? It's so crazy even with 6 weeks. Try a c-section and then do physical work after 6 weeks.

You have grounds to sue your employer. In the US they can't fire you for giving birth. It's a reasonable medical leave. It's not as if they didn't know you were pregnant.

Shouldn't you have been on maternity leave anyways at that point? I find it odd that you would still be working at 9(ish) months pregnant

#39 I was working all the way up to the point my water broke. I was behind the counter at Starbucks.

maybe it a state law or I don't know what am talking about but I thought you have to be off certain amount of days of before and after birth and same with death of a loved one

You can work nut you or your doctor feel you are not about to safely do so. As far as bereavement goes it's t the company's discretion. I planned my grandmother funeral and worked up until the day of the event and still got full bereavement pay.