By wrock84 - 08/05/2016 01:50 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I tried to fix my wife's brakes and change her oil before I worked on my truck. Seven hours later both vehicles are unusable. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 465
You deserved it 5 873

wrock84 tells us more.

wrock84 20

For the record i am a mechanic, but when the caliper bolt snaps on one car and a caliper is seized on another with no way to get replacement parts until next day, no amount of skill/knowledge will help. Cant pull parts out of my ass

Top comments

YDI, Why the hell would you attempt to fix the cars if you clearly had no idea what you were doing?

Well, what kind of mechanic are you if you can't pull parts out of your ass?!

Comments

holyshitbatman 20

protip. if you aren't 100% sure how to work on a car, have someone who does help you or take it to a shop. it's not worth everyone's safety, especially since you were playing with brakes.

I'm all about being handy and trying to save a few buck by doing it myself, but messing with brakes without knowing what you're doing, isnt very bright. Advise put it back together and bring to someone that knows how to fix it. Whatever you do dont bring to a shop in pieces. You'll get charged to fix it.

which YouTube tutorial did you watch?

To all those saying he doesn't know what he's doing, that isn't necessarily the case. I know what I'm doing and I've still had cars left unusable (OK, two in one day is good going, but...). Sometimes stuff just breaks - bolts get rounded off or stripped, parts get seized and won't come apart without being damaged, etc. Shit happens. If you can't get the parts straightaway, then you're out of luck for a day or two. I've had a car off the road for a week once, waiting for delivery of a £2 part.

He way op stated this makes me think he was just in over his head and didn't stop after he screwed up.

You're inferring a lot from a short sentence. You may well be right, but I can't see where you're getting that from?

Screwing up both of your cars in one day and rendering them unusable means OP probably doesn't have a lot of training with cars.

Not necessarily, #24. I've worked on cars for about 15 years now and shit happens. That is the best way to word it. Yeah, it's unlikely, but if you've never worked on old, rusty cars with worn parts all over the place yourself you can't say otherwise. I'm from Maine and I've personally experienced a brake job turning into almost a full brake system replacement due to rust.

Rookie mistake. Fix one at a time.

probably two easiest things to fix on a car

goes to show that not everyone is a certified mechanic

moocowmilk0 19

well you have to know what you're doing first of all..

turdwrangler 18

Oil change easy. Unscrew drain plug, let oil drain out (usually into a container), unscrew oil filter, replace with new oil filter, put drain plug back on, fill with appropriate type and amount of oil. Brakes were likely the problem, but that problem could have been the parts guy gave him the wrong brake pads/shoes and they have to wait for the correct part to come in.

UserError94 18

This reminds me of a time when my dad tried to change my sisters oil and drained the tranny fluid by mistake. He then filled the engine with new oil which mixed with the bad oil. By the time we drained that it almost flooded everywhere. Cost nearly triple the amount someone else could have done it. But at least she got a free transmission fluid change lol