By CreamGravy - 06/10/2013 13:54 - Australia - Brisbane

Today, I told my coworkers that I was going on a date tonight so they would think I have a social life. One of them spotted me while I was eating alone at McDonalds. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 060
You deserved it 30 514

CreamGravy tells us more.

Well to be honest I made the whole thing up because I got tired of being that one guy at work who can't get a girlfriend. It's a small place, there are only 8 of us who work there, and I'm the only one that's single, so I get jokes about it quite a lot. They're nothing bad, I know it's all in fun, but yesterday someone made yet another joke about it and for some reason I just blurted out that I had a date tonight. As soon as I did I figured might as well go with the story, so when I got questioned about it I made up a fake name and description for the girl as well. The best part is that I told everyone I was taking her to this really fancy and expensive restaurant, so when they saw me at McDonalds it was ironic actually. Luckily for me today is a holiday, but I have a feeling tomorrow the mocking is going to be worse than ever. I voted YDI by the way.

Top comments

I guess it didn't turn out to be one happy meal... :D

you should've just told them that you got stood up.

Comments

I don't have a social life and people know that. That's just the way it is.

I've never been on a 'date' lol. You shouldn't have to feel like you have to be like everyone else.

hazardmuffin 21

Why even care what they think of you? If you're happy not having much of a social life, then who cares? Don't be ashamed of being yourself. If you really DO want a social life, then go and get one. Ask your coworkers to go hang out after work one day, or find yourself an actual date.

Why do these come up so often here? Trust me, your coworkers DO NOT CARE how often you go out at night or whether you're dating. If you make yourself look like an idiot by constantly talking yourself up, or lying about your social life and getting caught, that's what will make them think you're a loser. And most people would rather work with a guy who doesn't talk about his social life much than a guy who brags and then gets caught lying.

The trouble with lying is that there's always the chance someone will find out, and you'll look even more foolish than if they had found out about whatever situation you were trying to hide.

I'll echo a lot of peoples' comments that it's never a good idea to lie in order to look "cool" to someone. It's much more cool to just not care what people think, and in the long run makes life much easier!

I understand how you feel. I constantly make up lies about my social life. As far as they know, I'm a big party girl. Last night I stayed at home and read a book. My friends are all in relationships and they never want to hang out anymore. My coworkers are all men so I can't ask them to hang out. So I just lie. I haven't been caught yet, but I'm sure someday I will be.

It's okay I would probably do the same thing myself.

if you're going to lie (i'm not saying you should) just stay home and order in, then no one can catch you in said lie