By jcdc - 20/05/2012 15:03 - United States - Georgetown

Today, I spilled boiling water on my legs. A coworker told me that putting mustard on the burn would heal it. I ended up at the emergency room. When people walked by I could hear them say "it smells like hot dogs". FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 417
You deserved it 8 812

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Duh it didnt work. You forgot to add the mayonnaise.

Comments

I was not aware the mustard seed contained healing properties.

sacredeye73 11

Mustard is good for burns. Specifically, it's the mustard seeds and vinegar that helps to soothe the burn and promote healing :-)

mustard... sure, doctors are always prescribing mustard

hateevryone 14

Im sure it did smell like hot dogs.

Did you know that the word Orange sounds like gullible? go ahead and try it

SwtCherryPie 26

Mustard helps soothe small burns and helps to keep it from blistering. So in a sense your coworker was correct but on such a large scale mustard isnt going to help you any.

The whole boiling water on legs sucks, but YDI for believing mustard would cure the burn. Your co-worker is an ass, but you're pretty stupid to actually believe him.

Aw i've spilled boiling water on myself b4 ik it's horrible...Sry but the hotdogs part is pretty funny.

Please don't put any mustard (nor vinegar, ketchup, mayonnaise, egg white or toothpaste) on burns, or any other wounds for that matter. In burns the skin is damaged and putting mustard on it could infect it. (vinegar could be used as a home remedy disinfectant on small wounds/insect bites, but rather use medical stuff that's made for that purpose). I'm a medical student and also teach first aid. In the Netherlands there's a slogan made up by a specialised burncentre: eerst water, de rest komt later; which translates to: water first, after that it's time for the rest. Preferably you use lukewarm running water , but all water that's 'round body temp or lower would suffice (not directly on burned area, just a little above it). Don't use ice, because than you might end up with frostbite, which does the same type of damage to the skin as burns. Special remark on using water when trying to extinguish flames: if nothing else is around but ditchwater, use ditchwater anyways, because the risk of infection isn't outweighed by more damage the fire can still do. And roll, not run. When a large area is burned, the hot skin can burn neighbouring skin, so that must be stopped by cooling the burn down, when nothing else is nearby, you can therefore use ditchwater as well. For transportation to the hospital you can use any clean cloth (preferably not giving of fibres, or when you have sterile gauze, use that) that's saturated with water (evaporating water cools down). When do you need to contact a doctor: - when over 9 percent of your body is covered in 2nd or 3rd degree burns (an arm is roundabout 9 percent, handpalm resembles 1 percent, when estimating percentage, always use patients measurements) - all 3rd degree burns (3rd degree burns are recognisable by black or white discolouration, usually surrounded by 2nd degree burns recognisable by blisters) - burns by electricity (and lightning) - chemical burns - burns in functional areas such as face, hands, joints or genitals - burns surrounding a part of the body (bracelet-like, forming a ring around a body part such as arms, legs, neck or chest - burns in your airways. Always leave blisters intact, the thin layer of skin that remains will prevent infection. When cooling a person with a large area of burns, be aware of hypothermia Thanks for reading all of this info and I hope you will never need this information...

Oh, forgot to mention: chemical burns should be cooled and rinsed for a minimum of 30 minutes. "Normal" burns should be cooled for at least 10 minutes, but longer when it still feels like burning.