By Mayrose125 - 29/11/2016 07:32

Today, I learned that my boss is training one the the trainees I trained to be supervisor. Everyone supports this, including me. So what's the issue? I was promised that position almost 2 years ago. Apparently, I train people well enough to promote, but I'm not good enough to be promoted myself. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 777
You deserved it 781

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Perhaps try sending a tactful message. I remember once having a friend in a similar situation, and after a lot of discussion, we went and set their office on fire. Burned the whole building down before heading off on a murder spree. As the weeks went by, the body count skyrocketed, and eventually my friend found something they valued more than a job: self esteem.

Maybe you should talk to your supervisor and see what needs to be done for you to get a promotion...

Comments

As a supervisor I know, that sometimes you don't promote the best employee, because by promoting him/her, you might get a good supervisor, but at the same time you'll lose your best employee from current position. Maybe you should not aim for the promotion, but insteadt have a talk about having more benefits for staying at your current position? While having a negotiation, you can use this employee that got the promotion as an example of a person who was trained by you.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Or they should look for a promotion outside the company. Constantly training your bosses is insulting. If you can train your boss then you can train your replacement.

As an employee in this situation you've described please allow me to express an opinion contrary to your own: **** you. You're seriously going to tell me that you think it's the right decision to lock me in to a dead end position because I'm GOOD at my job?! I work for a giant corporation. Maybe in a small company I could negotiate for extra benefits or something but in a large one the bureaucracy prevents that. So I get stuck with no growth, no chance to expand my skills, and this is explained as some kind of *reward*?? Yeah, **** you and **** that attitude.

I've had 4 GMs now run my store into the ground... I was hired to take over GM when the prior one had her baby... nope... they hire someone else... and everytime one quits/gets fired... I step up and do all the work... expecting them to just give it to me... but no... a new person just starts and history repeats... when I have spoke to the higher ups... they just keep telling me that they have a plan for me... RIGHT fml

TheyCallMeDamien 17

New time it happens change jobs right when the new person starts. You're the back-up plan that they can count on and they don't want to switch you out to try and find a new one. Companies no longer value loyalty. They just want someone promising higher profits.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

You need to change jobs. Apply to be supervisor somewhere else. The work force has changed. Sticking with the same company will get you taken for granted. When you're loyal to a company they think you're lazy and lack ambition or can't do any better. Also if you're good at your job they don't want to risk moving you. Companies like "new" because it makes them feel cutting edge. This also stems from the fact they cater to stockholders who have absolutely no loyalty to anything but the bottomline. He who promises more money trumps stability. If it doesn't work they just fire a few people to get new ones for cheaper and get a new lead promise maker.

bloodyfreak_fml 4

Sometimes just because you are a great employee and trainer doesn't always translate into a good supervisor. There are multiple factors in play when you decide who to promote. I would suggest either talking to your boss or start looking for other opportunities.

Those who can ,do, those who can't, teach?

tinytyler 12

This is just like being in the friendzone and she says "I wish I could find someone like you"

I feel your pain, OP. I was promised a management position several years ago, but ended up training two outside hires for the position while slowly dying inside. I transferred to a different location shortly after that and was finally given management, but the feeling of training people for the job you want truly sucks.

I'm in a similar situation OP. I'm in a position that makes me essentially a manager without keys, and I'm pretty damn good at my job. They'll never actually promote me to a real management position because of it, and it's really hard to find someone to fill my position, or even work in my department. My boss has said as such to my face. Time to look for another position, in another company, see what else is out there.

xbaconator9000x 16

I hope that you brought this up with your boss. Complacency gets you nowhere.

anybody else confused by the double the?