By bshoemaker45601 - 08/06/2016 20:57 - United States - Circleville

Today, I got a job at a casino where I was actually planning on spending my 21st birthday next month. After they hired me, they told me no employees are allowed to play or gamble on or off the clock, for as long as they are employed there, or termination will immediately follow. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 315
You deserved it 3 532

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Congratulations on the job! I know it sucks that you can't gamble there anymore, but think about it this way - you've scored yourself consistent employment and are saving yourself from blowing all of your money. Is there another casino near that one where you can celebrate by any chance?

Be happy you don't live in Pennsylvania. My mother works at a casino in town and she isn't allowed to gamble at any casino in the entire state.

Comments

Congratulations on the job! I know it sucks that you can't gamble there anymore, but think about it this way - you've scored yourself consistent employment and are saving yourself from blowing all of your money. Is there another casino near that one where you can celebrate by any chance?

FML_HelloItsMe 15

FYL OP.Look for another place to have your party at.Losing your job for the party would make no sense.

That sucks op but unless you live in middle earth, theres probably another casino close by. Happy early birthday btw!

Ha, I actually live in middle earth (New Zealand) and the cloest one to me that I know of is 3 hours away

Lmao awesome pun aside, OP is in Ohio. The only way they're getting to another casino "close by" is by leaving the state. We only have one or two since they only recently made them legal here.

Cleveland has 1, Toledo has 2, Cincinnati has 1 and Columbus has 2. It might be a bit of a drive but there are options.

well at least you have a job, and happy early birthday! hopefully there is another casino you can go to celebrate your birthday at, good luck! (:

SteveDudleyUK 10

Oh what a pity. I realise why you have to tell the world why this is a real FML. Never mind when your older you will grow up and see how pathetic you were when a child.

Well... They're clearly over 21 because they're working in a casino..

I work for a gaming company myself, and I find it very difficult to believe they would hire you before you turn 21 as it is illegal for you to be on the gaming floor if you are under 21. Also, it is standard practice due to the gaming laws in most states to not gamble at the property you work for. Other casinos are not off-limits though, so you can still enjoy gambling other places!

He could still do valet or be a bell man.

fpants2010 18

I was wondering about the age issue myself. A casino employee I struck up a conversation with one time told me that no one under age 21 is legal to hire.

Yeah I work for a casino too and can confirm they do hire those under 21. They just limit where they can go.

They could be in the restaurant and not on the gaming floor... Which requires them to only be 18..

why can't you gamble there when you work there?

#31 - It's highly dependent on state laws and the gaming company in question. Where I live and with the company I work for, it is okay to gamble at your place of work, as long as you're not wearing your uniform or ID badge. But other places tend to be much more strict, as they fear since you work at the casino you have "inside information" and could possibly rig a game to win.

I worked at a casino in California for 8 years, 31, and they all have different policies. For instance, the one I worked at allowed employees to gamble. They also offered payday advances if an employee needed it. Well, too many employees gambled their paychecks away and asked for payday advances, so they decided to take both away. That policy stuck until about 4 years ago. Some casinos don't care at all, some do. The only rule I've seen that's in every casino is dealers aren't allowed to play table games, and slot attendants aren't allowed to play slots. Collusion, and all that.

wolfgurl28 10

I work for a casino. Depending what you are hired to do you can be 18 years old or older. I'm security and was hired at 20. I know tons of 18+ people in my establishment. Every place is different but as long as you aren't pouring alcohol you can work there. Also depending on the policies they could have it set up where they can't gamble. Ours go by departments that you work in. OP casino can have it set up where no one can gamble or drink.

It is standard practice in most countries to not gamble at the property of employment or a even a property owned by the company of employment. I've worked in many different casinos in several different countries. The same rules apply everywhere. Doesn't matter if you work on the tables, waiting on the floor on reception.

mzdaisylynn 12

They can't stop you from doing something on your own time

yes, they can. I don't even work directly in the casino, I work for the hotel they run next door and its in my contract that I can't. a customer wanted to give me a chip as a tip but I wasn't even allowed to cash it. they're strict about that stuff. they have to be.

companies can do whatever they want with their establishments as long as it doesn't break any laws

Congratulations on the new job OP and happy early birthday..

Jillene 8

This is something they tell you before you are hired or they should have.