By mishkaroni - 08/08/2012 19:26 - United States - Chula Vista

Today, I found out that just because you express mail something, it doesn't mean the post office won't still lose it. What did they lose? My signed marriage license. We spent all that time and money to get married on the day of our choosing, and our marriage isn't even valid. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 394
You deserved it 2 601

mishkaroni tells us more.

mishkaroni 15

Thank you for your kind words. People don't understand that we did everything to get it there on time and backed it up with express mail which is overnight delivery to ensure or very important document was received on time. The sad thing is, those employed at the post office just don't care.

Top comments

That's really bad. I feel for you. Post offices aren't reliable like they were at one point I guess.

You should definitely file a complaint I'm sorry that your big day got ruined by a technicality

Comments

lelo007 11

I'm sure there's a simple solution, you'll be able to get a copy and have the minister sign it again. Just take a deep breath and focus on how to fix the situation, not just what went wrong.

Understand your point but this is fml lol they're supposed to focus on what went wrong. :P

lelo007 11

Haha that's true. But sometimes the FMLs aren't true FMLs. Like, walking in on your mom or dad satisfying themselves is a true FML.. Because they don't make brain bleach and that can't be unseen :-/

Pretty_Pink_Lady 10

Yikes, hopefully you can get it fixed without doing too much. Don't the courts keep some sort of computer records or something?

I'm not sure how this works, but could you send another one? Perhaps this time by falcon (more traditional).

ruabadfishtoo 0

what about by owl? I thought everyone did that nowadays:(

Frankly, I just use burrowing whales. Large cargo capacity, very efficient, and their titanium horns can burrow through bedrock.

Coeliacchic93 21

@52 woah that's pretty impressive, not much at all can get through bedrock! (Minecraft reference :D)

I wouldn't think anything less of your marriage. The license is out there, it's just not in your possession. I hope you're able to get a copy or a new one, OP.

Everyone check your mailbox for a marriage license

Pretty_Pink_Lady 10

Yikes, hopefully you can get it fixed without doing too much. Don't the courts keep some sort of computer records or something?

Which is why you're supposed to apply for it long before the day. So you get it before then.

That's what I thought at first but it says signed marriage license. Wouldn't that indicate OP had the officiant sign it already and was just putting it in the records office? There's not really any timing to that. OP, did you not track it? We dropped ours off in person to avoid this sort of snafu. Meh, you should be able to just have the officiant sign another. It doesn't change what day you celebrate your wedding. It's a minor detail; let the bridezilla thing go.

mishkaroni 15

People can't read. The marriage license was signed...by ALL needed parties...then we were advised to mail it within 10 days. The usps lost it, and when I went for the certificate, which is needed for name change, I learned of the situation. Usps said they can't track it. :/

Shit.. Fyl Cant rely on post offices, damn -.-

YDI. Why did you wait until the last minute? That's something you do weeks in advance. No biggie, though. You still have a wonderful relationship and will get the real certificate soon.

it says signed so I'm guessing the had it for the day.

mishkaroni 15

No, I did not deserve it. I did my part. I paid my fee for the license in advance, we got married, had the officiant and two witnesses sign it and express mailed it (overnighted it for those who don't know) all before the three month expiration. They never received it, it's been 30 days.

sweetbabysweet93 10

Yeah you married the person you love. Fly. Not. Seems like u got married for the wrong reasons.

how did she married for the wrong reasons? she's pissed because she doesn't have any proof to say she's Mrs. so and so.

sweetbabysweet93 10

She's blessed to have the money and the resources available to marry the person she loves. Marriage is about or should be about making a commitment to spend your life with the person you're in love with. Not about a piece of paper verifying it. I can't say how she feels or what she thinks but it seems to me that paper verifying her marriage is important to her than what marriage represents.

mishkaroni 15

You're a dumb idiot. I need the license recorded so I can get the certificate to change my name. I can't legally change my name without it. I married for love after almost 5 years of dating this man. I paid for our ceremony with some help from him but that's right I did this for the wrong reasons.

mishkaroni 15

also, I spent less than $1000 on my wedding including venue, food and dress. So yah, I had the money to pay for it even though I saved it up and paid everything off slowly in the year leading up to the marriage itself. If you ever have it in you to get married, I hope this NEVER happens to you. This has been a process through hell and if you were in my shoes, you would understand.

Congrats on being able to throw a wedding for $1000. I've always been a fan of small weddings rather than the over the top kind. I've never really seen the point in spending 10,000 on a wedding.