By disfordiploma - 25/03/2009 04:12 - United States

Today, I found out that I'm failing this semester because I've missed too many classes. I've missed the classes because I've been having panic attacks, a symptom of my anxiety disorder. I got the anxiety disorder because I was so afraid of failing school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 108 287
You deserved it 28 264

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Smoke some weed. That will help with the anxiety. Also, realise that there is more to life then good grades. They help sure but they are not the be all and end all. And life really begins after you finish school. Not during.

Speak with your school's disability services. I've had the same thing happen to me before, and it ish totally not cool.

Comments

I have this exact same problem. I failed basic math and us history because i was too afraid to go. That' why I clicked YDI. I've suffered from anxiety my whole life, but I finally learned it' not an excuse. If you let it control you, you have no one to blame but yourself. Good luck.

Buys Kalms Stress from Shoppers drug mart.

jessiegirl 0

Your panic attacks and anxiety are likely not due to the fear of failing school. They can happen to many people. Talk to your doctor. You don't necessarily need to see a shrink. They're expensive and there are lots of things you can do on your own. I am on a very low dose of Lexapro and haven't had a panic attack since. And NO XANAX! It's habit-forming, it's short-lasting, and not a good fix. I have a 'scrip for Klonopin, and rarely have had to take one, and then only half. As someone above mentioned, just having the bottle can feel reassuring. (Klonopin lasts longer than Xanax and isn't as habit-forming) Oh, how could I forget? Pick up the latest version of "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook". It did wonders for me. To anyone who thinks anxiety/panic attacks are BS, you've never had one. They're awful, and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Aww man, vicious circle! Don't be afraid of failing, the more you think you'll fail, the more likely you'll do.

I love all the people here who say "What you need to do is go to the therapist or go to a doctor so they can give you drugs to take." What you really need to do is take a look at your life and figure out what your so worried about and why. I used to worry so much in high school that I gave myself stomach ulcers from it. One day I thought about it and found that I was worrying over nothing at all and school and education in general is not worth it if it is detrimental to your health. My grades dropped a little in the subjects I really didn't care about but went up in others. Go figure. Stop caring so much, stop worrying about the future. Just do your best and let the chips fall where they may. Oh and #17, stop being judgemental retard. If you did then you might realise that most people saying "smoke weed" are being facetious. But even if they were not how is it any worse to say see a doctor and get them to prescribe drugs to take. Drugs are drugs. And if smoking in the privacy of your own home then you don't give a shit about being arrested. And the fact that most cops these days don't give a rats arse if you have a bit of weed on you.

alphatoomega 21

THANK YOU! Srsly. I'm in high school, and right now I'm so stressed that I've given myself a stomach bug. I feel a bit better now.

jessiegirl 0

@#38 It's not always as simple as "figure out what you're so worried about and why". I was perfectly happy when I started getting panic attacks. That was a year ago, and I still have no clue why. It can be a chemical imbalance in the brain, and doctors haven't made advances in medicine for no reason. So if you want to preach your granola tactics, cool. But not everyone is easily healed with some soul-searching and just "figuring it out".

That is pretty much what happened to me this semester, except I am SORT OF managing it now. I'm not gonna fail, but my grades are certainly worse than usual. Also I love how the number one suggestion is not "work on controlling your panic attacks," but instead is "smoke some weed."

Ever been evaluated for pheochromocytoma?

Fair enough #39 but going to the doctor doesn't necessarily going to solve their problem either if they get prescribed the wrong thing. Or the Doc is tired and goes for the easy "here take this and go away" option which does happen. I'm just saying explore all the options. Heck, it might even be solved by doing some meditation and yoga. You just don't know. These panic attacks could be set off by stress coupled with unhappiness. You just can't tell what's going on in the OP's live from that brief FML. I'm not necessarily preaching anything. I just think most peoples problems can be solved from within. Even "chemical imbalances in the brain". Maybe even try some life coaching. Has been known to help people with anxiety. Or just go with my original though. Smoke some weed (being facetious before anyone tries to lambaste me)