By disfordiploma - 25/03/2009 04:12 - United States

Today, I found out that I'm failing this semester because I've missed too many classes. I've missed the classes because I've been having panic attacks, a symptom of my anxiety disorder. I got the anxiety disorder because I was so afraid of failing school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 108 287
You deserved it 28 264

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Smoke some weed. That will help with the anxiety. Also, realise that there is more to life then good grades. They help sure but they are not the be all and end all. And life really begins after you finish school. Not during.

Speak with your school's disability services. I've had the same thing happen to me before, and it ish totally not cool.

Comments

I have panic disorder. It is one of the worst things ever. I take paxil and if I ever have an attack I take xannex. I would recommend not drinking heavily, but if you do, like I do, the next day is awful because the alcohol counteracts the medication. I feel for you.

I've been through the same thing sweetie. Do go talk to the people at the disability services, as well as the professors, they're usually very understanding about these types of issues. You are going to need proof, though, so I would suggest first going to see your school's counselor for an official diagnosis, and sticking with therapy to relieve the severity of the panic attacks. If they offer you anti-depressants for the anxiety, even if you don't like meds, I would honestly recommend them because they help tremendously to minimize anxiety.

be careful if you are young (like under 18) and taking prescription meds, they can actually do more harm than good. Yoga, deep breathing, have a beer or two...

myoukei 31

You're suggesting that a minor not take helpful medication but instead drink away their problems? Sure. Sounds plan friend :)

^ #12 it's called "xanax" and pill-popping can make it worse. okay for short periods of time, and on tough days... Personally, I took up drinking and running.

"Smoke some weed." Real smart. Once he/she starts smoking the weed, he/she will probably start worrying about being arrested. The intelligence(or lack of) of pot-heads just amazes me. Anyways, what I wanted to say WAS: *ahem* You can probably get those grades taken care of through an appeals process if they're going to kick you out because of them. They'll probably either drop all the grades & hours you messed up or just ignore it and give you another chance. Happened to me when I missed alot of school for medical reasons.

Shut the **** up, I graduated with a 3.9 gpa, with anxiety attacks in ap classes and now work on the rigs making 50000 a year and I smoke a half o a week, weeds not right for everyone, nut for some people it can really help, smoke a bowl and mellow the **** out

I'm British, and I really don't understand the whole American thing where you can "fail" school for all sorts of things... here we essentially have to turn up once in a while (and not that often), and being held back a year and things like that just wouldn't happen. What I really don't understand, though, is the whole 'no tolerance' thing you guys have - surely if you just say, look, I was having panic attacks or whatever, or get a doctor's note, there should be no problem?

Don't smoke weed, it makes it worst. I have failed classes before due to a panic attack disorder and eventually had to drop out of school, so catch it early while you can, it only gets worst with time. Do a DBT (look it up), find a right shrink who should put you immediatly on diazepan, valium, or an equivalent just so you can function, but make sure to use it as a crutch, not a means to the end. There are online communities etc...so much you can do to help yourself. Good luck...it's a horrible disorder to have (I have had it since 1997....)