By alaskaintexas - 19/07/2012 07:29 - United States - Bulverde

Today, I found out my sister-in-law is getting married. She is one of my best friends, and was my maid of honor when I got married. She's asked me to serve punch at hers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 566
You deserved it 2 866

alaskaintexas tells us more.

Her maid of honor is already married, and she's not getting married for the second time. I just married her brother. And btw, I'm planning her wedding with her mother, not her.

Top comments

txgirl2013 14

You should serve punch all right....a punch right in the face...but no, that sucks :(

Comments

txgirl2013 14

You should serve punch all right....a punch right in the face...but no, that sucks :(

I'm sure she didn't mean to brush you off.. it's probably the stress of planing the wedding

That sucks ass OP. She's obviously not as interested in your friendship as you are.

Wait, how does that suck ass? It's the perfect position! Spike the general punch bowl so everyone can have a good time and lace that bitch's cup with poison... Muhahaha

rofflewaffle 9

Traditionally, maidens of honor and bridesmaids are just that: maidens. Which means unmarried. So having married bridesmaids might go against her idea of tradition or she may just have closer friends even if you don't.

She might be one of your best friends, but you might not be one of hers. Don't take it personally- I know secondhand because my sister is getting married next year & had a hard time narrowing it down/not offending anyone. It might be financial reasons that she can't have more bridesmaids (or, the groom wouldn't have enough groomsmen), as well as why she asked a friend to serve the punch rather than pay someone.

At least you don't have to hold her dress while she takes a dump.

How rood -.- but before you go all crazy best friend on her... You could ask her.. if it really bothers you and since she's your bf, she should understand :)

ryry013 6

Try not to be too sad, think of it only as standing somewhere else during the wedding.

nattynatters 14

I'm sorry. Maybe she's trying to give you a hint?

A hint as to what? That op's really not as important to her as she thought. I believe that's still an fml. That's just me tho.

When she goes by to get punch: *accidentally* spill it all over her white dress. 0.o

27, If you're going to be that childish don't even go to the wedding, you don't deserve friends.

Well hopefully she's joking and you'll still be in her wedding. But if not, it's her day and you shouldn't hold any grudges; as lame as it may seem.

mariet_fml 23

Are you kidding me? It may be "her day" but that doesn't excuse the extraordinary rudeness of asking a guest, especially a dear friend, to act as hired help. How is OP supposed to enjoy the reception from behind a bowl?

p3mguin 7

^. This you are exactly right

TheDrifter 23

At my family's weddings, a trusted family member is asked to watch the punch and keep some cups filled on the table for the kids (too small to get it themselves). It's an honor of sorts and the only way we've found to keep pranksters from getting the kids drunk.

Pranksters getting the kids drunk?! WHO did you invite to your wedding!? Was it somewhere that any stranger could walk in and help themselves?

TheDrifter 23

Family. There's always one that thinks 15 year olds are funnier after a couple drinks.

I agree with 4. It's her day. You married her brother therefore it's normal practice to have her as a bridesmaid. I had my husband's sister as my bridesmaid then at her wedding our role was to set up the reception for her and take it all down at the end of the night. I never expected to be her bridesmaid, let alone resented her for the choices she made. She's family, help her out.

#67, OP isn't a guest yet. She's been asked to be involved in the wedding not be hired help. My sister-in-law offered to handle the guest book at mine. There are many honorary functions at a wedding and people often enjoy being part of the event. OP, one isn't always the best friend of her own best friend. Welcome to adulthood. You can either serve the punch, help in some other way, or be just a guest. It's not your wedding and you can't demand to be a bridesmaid. FYL but if she's truly your friend, don't add your resentment to her list of worries.

67 - Asking family to help out at the reception is a great way to keep the cost of your wedding low. The punch server still gets to socialize with everyone who comes to get punch, and who knows, maybe it's a very casual reception and it won't be necessary to move around much. Besides, OP is family in LAW, not blood, so the day really isn't about her at all.

Sunako_fml 9

Wait, her sister in law is getting married again? Maybe they were really good friends but unless she was renewing her vows with op's brother I can see it being a little odd for op's brother. It'd be awkward for somebody at the very least.

junebreeze 1

The sister in law could be the OP's husband's sister.

It would be a shame if someone was to put something extra in the punch!

IworkAt711 14

Then every innocent person attending said wedding who drinks punch would take affect of the extra substand in the punch.

Yeah! That'll show the little children at the wedding who did absolutely nothing to cross OP!

And say "you have been served"... Or better yet, when she doubles up and cries "why????" just say " YOU KNOW WHY"...

Wicked361 8

With the side of a knuckle sandwich!

maybe she made a promise before to another friend that she would be the maid of honor... you can't just expect to be the maid of honor because she was yours ... she might be you're good friend but she may have other good friends other than you... just be thankful you were invited to the wedding ... also the stress of the wedding could be making her act like that so don't take it personal op :)

Rachaelc23 8

I'm sure that she's not upset over not being the maid of honor. But not being in it at all except to serve other guests at the reception is more like not being invited at all and kind of a slap in the face. It's ridiculous.

I think OP was hoping to at least be a part of the bridal party, not end up serving punch

What 25 said. When my aunt and uncle got married, every single grandchild in the family was in the wedding except for me. I was made to hand out programs. I think it's cause I was a fat kid and they couldn't find a dress to fit me right, but either way, it sucked to be left out. I'm still bitter about it.

Also, they could be keeping the wedding party small. Maybe she has family of her own to put in the wedding or friends she has known much longer.

It's bad when you're best friends doesn't see you the same way... my bestfriend didn't invite me to her cousin's wedding while she invited another friend so it hurts

It's not like it was your friends wedding. Sheesh quit being a baby.

So you didn't get invited to her cousins wedding? Someone you didn't m is got married without you knowing them? Maybe the other friend knew the cousin?

Plant a well-timed fart during the ceremony and call it even.