By Aggressive - 24/07/2013 13:12 - Ireland - Dublin

Today, I came back from vacation only to find my 16-year-old son was throwing a party with over 30 kids in our house. My 33-year-old sister was having fun dancing on a table. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 345
You deserved it 6 443

Aggressive tells us more.

My son had to clean up the mess, and pay for any damages, also he's grounded for a LONG time. Hopefully he'll learn from this. At the moment, my sisters still too drunk to be reasonable, I'll have to speak to her when she's sober. As for the kids at the party, most of their parents have been notified!

Top comments

Obviously he should be punished but now that you know that he drinks maybe you could be more open to him doing it in the house? When my granny found out I drank at 16 I was allowed to have a drink or two at a family get together but nothing serious like spirits. Anyway letting him find out his limits is good because you don't want to be the parent of the guy who comes home, vomits in the sink and sleeps on the kitchen floor at 19

Comments

My son had to clean up the mess, and pay for any damages, also he's grounded for a LONG time. Hopefully he'll learn from this. At the moment, my sisters still too drunk to be reasonable, I'll have to speak to her when she's sober. As for the kids at the party, most of their parents have been notified!

Obviously he should be punished but now that you know that he drinks maybe you could be more open to him doing it in the house? When my granny found out I drank at 16 I was allowed to have a drink or two at a family get together but nothing serious like spirits. Anyway letting him find out his limits is good because you don't want to be the parent of the guy who comes home, vomits in the sink and sleeps on the kitchen floor at 19

I always vomited in the toilet and slept on the basement floor when I was 19.

Based on what I've read it seems more like your sister was the only drunk one

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

No 117. I think OP is being totally reasonable. The son broke the rules along with property. If he's gonna learn his lesson, he has to pay for his actions. This was no small thing that just a smack on the hand will fix. When I was a teen, I threw a few pebbles at the window for, you know, stupid teenage reasons. I ended up having to pay for a new window and install it myself. That's how you gotta deal with teens. If you don't be a hardass, they'll grow up into spoiled little bitches who'll fall on their ass when they're out on their own.

I know you you were just being a parent... But snitching on those kids can really be bad to your son at school.

The fact that your sister was there probably made your son think think it was at least more ok then usual. Your son should be punished, yes, but your sister is more at fault then he is.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Yakostovian 18

"Snitching" on those other kids will teach those little bastards that you don't approve of their behavior in your home. If it makes things tougher on your kid, too bad. He made poor decisions that he has to rectify. Any of the other kids that were there are probably getting off easy, considering some of the typical antics at house parties.

It called being a teenager, I bet he has good memories now. If I were a parent I would punish him a little but not call everyone's parents. That's a party foul.

Going to parties is part of being a teenager. I'm pretty sure OP went to parties when he was younger and would be pissed if someone told his parents. It just isn't necessary.

Personally, I'm a teenager who thinks drinking is stupid. But one thing my parents are is very open about it with my older brother(19) and I. They don't have problems with us drinking in the house or buying it for my brother, because they know he can just get it elsewhere. I think once he's ungrounded, you should have a discussion about your limits and him being responsible. But your sister is still stupid.

The fact you are calling this a party foul shows me you have some growing up to yourself. This has nothing to do with snitching, it's called taking responsibility. One of two things can happen. Either the parent knew the kid was at a party, so no harm done there. Or the parent was unaware and the kid was breaking a rule him/herself. What if something had happened? The other parent can decide for him/herself how to handle it. In either case, this seems to have been handled fine to me. If you don't agree fine, suit yourself, but wait until you get kids yourself. Oh, and for the one person out there saying "Hey, I have kids and mine don't need rules, yet they are perfectly fine". Sure, either you are the exception to the rule, which still doesn't mean it will work for ALL the other kids out there, or you are completely unaware of what your kid is REALLY doing...

Bludmagnus 13

Your son is a simple teen.. your sister is the one with the problem.

autiger0612 18

I don't think you should have notified the other kid's parents. It wasn't their fault he isn't allowed to throw a party.

whoever said the guy is a hardass you sir are a dumbass

You would really let your kid drink before 21?

It's Ireland. Our drinking age is 18. And most kids drink from about 15 because people can be poor parents or kids can be sneaky.

Paulkit 6

Well she may be bringing the teenager inside her out, it's fair

friedbunnies 9

Well at least they were supervised, right?

Jelbeztok 17

I doubt it matters when the supervisor is drunk.

Well that's why families take their kids with them on vacation.

MsMourningStar 22

Sometimes parents need time to themselves. I always stayed at a friends house or with my aunt and we never threw wild parties. Parents shouldn't have to take their kids with them everywhere, they should've been able to trust the sister and the son enough to leave them alone. Which they clearly did, it's not their fault that trust was broken.

MsMourningStar 22

I hate this saying, no boys will not be boys. Not every boy does something like this.

i agree, that is a dumb saying. that saying is the reason so many kids are rotten. Just like "kids will be kids" no. If you discipline them, they will grow up to be a respectable adult.

You're so lame. Why would you notify their parents?! Was high school that long ago for you?