By KillerChipmunk - 10/10/2016 23:54 - United States - Sacramento

Today, I called maintenance for the fifth time about our sink, which leaks as much water from under the handle as comes out the spout. Apparently, they'd rather come up and tighten it every week than replace the washer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 867
You deserved it 770

KillerChipmunk tells us more.

Hey, OP here! First published post! I hadn't actually told them that I think it's the washer yet, next time I complain, I'm going to let them know. If they still don't fix it properly, I'm going to tell them I'll to do it myself. I've done some simple plumbing fixes like that before, so I don't think it'll be too hard or long a process. The main problem with fixing it myself is I'm in college and it's essentially an off campus dorm room (owned by the school, which kind of helps explain the quick fix mentality), and I don't have any tools here.

Top comments

Who doesn't want the washer replaced? If it's maintenance then of course they don't. More money for them. If it's your boss, have a chat with them about losing money over constantly tightening it as opposed to buying a new model.

mermaidkeels 26

3rd time's a char..oh wait. Maybe 6th time?

Comments

What you are describing is a failed faucet cartridge. Depending on the faucet and its age, the part could be $20, it could be $50, it could not be available. All the tightening in the world will not repair the problem. It is not a difficult fix, but it is more than just a washer. An hour of a plumbers time + parts, so probably $150 fix to do right. The other option is just replacing the faucet, which is actually less work, but more money in parts. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

That's a really easy fix on most sinks you could probably look up a DIY online and get it done no problem for only a few bucks

I anxiously await your next FML when you flood the place trying to fix it yourself ☺️

You are not a plumber, it's likely an O ring you'd have to take the whole thing apart to find the issue, complain again and ask them to check the O rings, tell them if they can't fix it you'll hire a plumber and deduct the plumbers bill from the next month's rent which will put a fire under your maintenance people to fix it properly. To the people who said it's school owned and you don't pay rent, what do you think "room and board fees" are? you pay to live in the dorms, you pay to live in a rent controlled apartment off campus. same difference.

If you know what the problem is why not just fix it yourself? It's a very quick and easy fix so I don't think you'd have to get permission from your landlord. Plus if you do somehow manage to **** up that simple of a job you can just call maintenence again and maybe then they'll be forced to do a proper fix.