By KillerChipmunk - 10/10/2016 23:54 - United States - Sacramento

Today, I called maintenance for the fifth time about our sink, which leaks as much water from under the handle as comes out the spout. Apparently, they'd rather come up and tighten it every week than replace the washer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 867
You deserved it 770

KillerChipmunk tells us more.

Hey, OP here! First published post! I hadn't actually told them that I think it's the washer yet, next time I complain, I'm going to let them know. If they still don't fix it properly, I'm going to tell them I'll to do it myself. I've done some simple plumbing fixes like that before, so I don't think it'll be too hard or long a process. The main problem with fixing it myself is I'm in college and it's essentially an off campus dorm room (owned by the school, which kind of helps explain the quick fix mentality), and I don't have any tools here.

Top comments

Who doesn't want the washer replaced? If it's maintenance then of course they don't. More money for them. If it's your boss, have a chat with them about losing money over constantly tightening it as opposed to buying a new model.

mermaidkeels 26

3rd time's a char..oh wait. Maybe 6th time?

Comments

One_In_Three 24

Water an irritating situation you must be swimming in.

Who doesn't want the washer replaced? If it's maintenance then of course they don't. More money for them. If it's your boss, have a chat with them about losing money over constantly tightening it as opposed to buying a new model.

A washer and O ring costs like 35 cents total

Um....I think you're thinking about a washing machine....and this is their apartment, so no boss involved.

mermaidkeels 26

3rd time's a char..oh wait. Maybe 6th time?

stevenJB 25

Just YouTube on how to fix it, sinks are pretty easy to fix, parts are cheap also. unless you gotta go through the landlord first?

At that point, I think it might be worth it to do-it-yourself. I know it's not your sink and they may be the ones responsible for fixing it, but if it's a simple washer, maybe spending a Saturday morning doing that would be worth the peace of mind.

species4872 19

Ten to one if they fix it themselves they will forget to turn the water off first.

hahahaha123123 10

I don't see why this has so many downvotes. that's a perfectly legit assumption.

I'll bet you're not familiar with the phrase "Don't paint yourself out of a job." Maintaining is better than repairing (for the maintainer, that is.)

unfortunately, that's pretty common OP... your shit basically has to be disintegrated to be replaced

If you understand the problem so well, why don't you fix it yourself?

Hey, OP here! First published post! I hadn't actually told them that I think it's the washer yet, next time I complain, I'm going to let them know. If they still don't fix it properly, I'm going to tell them I'll to do it myself. I've done some simple plumbing fixes like that before, so I don't think it'll be too hard or long a process. The main problem with fixing it myself is I'm in college and it's essentially an off campus dorm room (owned by the school, which kind of helps explain the quick fix mentality), and I don't have any tools here.

Oops, the end got cut off. I was trying to say I don't have any tools here.

Better yet, get a licensed, professional plumber to fix it and deduct the cost from your next rent check. Make sure you include the plumber's invoice with that check.

16: Considering it's school owned, there is no rent to deduct anything from.

I wish. I pay rent, and it's probably more than the place is worth.

A managed building is not the same as a small rental from a private landlord. The minute you fix the sink you risk being held responsible for any water damage (there is always water damage along the sink rim from these kinds of leaks) or any other problems that they can say are related to the repair. They can also say that damage happened after your repair instead of before. Check your lease, call the property manager and make sure you have it in writing that they are aware of the ongoing problem, and that they are ok with you repairing it yourself. Make sure you take a before and after pic as well.

Don't fix it yourself. you accept liability for damages at that point. Check your lease, the skills be a clause starting that they are responsible for full repairs of basic wear and tear.