By blzrdsgrl - 16/09/2013 00:43 - United States

Today, I asked my girlfriend to marry me. She pretended like it never happened. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 343
You deserved it 3 570

blzrdsgrl tells us more.

Turns out...she thought I was joking because "I'm never serious"...

Top comments

Well at least now you can trade in the ring for a full suit of Halo armor! (I hope somebody gets this reference)

Then pretend she's not your girlfriend anymore

Comments

EnigmaThe321 12

I hope the two of you figure this out before committing to such a strong bond. :)

I think its interesting how everyone is calling OPs girlfriend sorry or unworthy.A proposal is a question which means she has the right to accept or decline.Maybe OP isnt husband material or she isnt ready.Marriage is a HUGE deal.but that doesnt mean she's a sorry bitch or OP should dump her.They're adults, maybe OP should be trying to talk to her about it instead of posting an FML.

If you look at OP's name, I think she's female, which adds another layer of complication to the proposal. Her girlfriend might not be fully "out" with all of her family members, so explaining she's marrying another woman might not be something she's ready to do yet. Also, I've heard that an issue that's arisen in states that have recently legalized gay marriages is that some couples now feel obligated to get married now that they can, whereas before marriage was never an available option so they never had to give it much thought. So OP could be one of those people rushing into marriage - who knows? I definitely don't think we have enough info here to call the girlfriend a bitch though.

Gingerette 8

I agree, you can't judge her morality based on one action. Maybe she's having a hard time making a decision, and she needs time. If I hadn't already been talking about marriage, or ready for it, the question would throw me off, as well.

I agree with the not judging bit, but the girlfriend should have at least had the decency to ask for some time to think about it.

She didn't decline or accept. That is the problem

I agree that this is more complicated due to the newly legalized gay marriages, the fact that it is still taboo for many families, etc. However, the girlfriend owes Op and answer, or at least ask for some time. A healthy relationship is built on trust and communication. Op should consider why she is asking and then talk to the girlfriend about why she proposed and if the girlfriend is ready. Marriage is a big commitment and some people don't ever want to get married.

ghil15 8

good thing u did not do ask her on public... that could be more worst...

ouch, this would suck sooo much, i would hate to have ever ended up in this situation, i wouldnt know what to do next.

K_kanaka 26

A simple no I'm not ready would suffice.

raytyler26 16

That's what this app is all about!

Killtheguilt 3

Well, I could say some details are missing, perhaps how the story unfolded and all, what happened after, but if she gives you that treatment, then one of two things: either one, she truly is a b*tch that doesn't deserve you, or somehow she panicked, because these situations can hit the emotions pretty hard, and her self defense mechanism just didn't go the right way... I hope things improve after this, none the less...

Jtaura 10

Ahah you could've done it in public or restaurant to put her on the spot 0_o