By ribx - 17/11/2016 11:24 - New Zealand - Hamilton

Today, despite feeling healthier than ever, losing fat, gaining muscle and having perfect blood results, my morbidly obese relatives keep telling me that my new vegan diet is "unhealthy". FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 770
You deserved it 1 455

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm about as far from vegan as is possible, and I'm 100% on your side. If it works for you, it works for you. End of discussion. Ignore them, eat your soy, and enjoy your health.

It's their lives that suck. Way to be healthy!

Comments

I'm honestly surprised by the amount of positive/neutral posts regarding veganism and a plant-based diet. Usually there's just a bunch of "hurr durr protein" whenever veganism is mentioned. Congratulations on improving your lifestyle and health, I wish you the best OP. However it's a good idea to get a blood test done every 6-12 months just to make sure everything's good (B12 and iron specifically). The best representation of veganism is a happy, healthy vegan :)

writergirl1029 17

The mistake most meat eaters (myself included) make is eating too much and neglecting other nutrients.

Meat eaters don't typically have any deficiencies.

What exactly would they know about being healthy?

Cerebral_Origami 5

Congratulations! Ignore them! Enjoy all that you can do being healthy!

middlenamefrank 8

All that's great, and as many others have said, if it works for you, let it roll! Just be sure you're balancing your proteins. It's difficult to be sure you get all the essential amino acids on a vegan diet. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read up on it!

Bekkah_Kathryn_ 15

Sounds like a bit of jealousy to me~

writergirl1029 17

They most likely just feel self conscious about their own diet choices and are trying to make themselves feel better. I eat meat, but I admire you for abstaining. Being vegan/vegetarian, or omnivorous, it doesn't matter. We all have to balance our nutrients, and if you've found a lifestyle that makes you feel happy and healthy then you've won a huge battle that most people will spend their lives fighting.

Vegan is a risky diet. You must carefully practice supplementation. Until the 1960's, every vegan community died out due to b12 deficiency, because it wasn't yet possible to acquire it from non-animal sources. Additionally, most vegans don't use the strictly engineered diet that is necessary, so they have seriously compromised immune systems, and often, anemia in many cases. Countries like India where people are traditionally vegetarian due to religious beliefs, have anemia rates higher than 50% for women. Veganism is much more dangerous still, due to the scientific efficiency required to survive. I had a professor in molecular biology, who stated that no one under the age of 25 should even try veganism, due to potential side effects during critical neuromuscular development.

eat what you want. it isn't unhealthy it just kind of lacks what makes being fat ok. meat.

Urpoppy 21

I guess they are just ignorant. Don't forget to bring them flowers to all of their open heart surgeries.