By elizabethkalyn - 10/02/2014 20:48 - United States - Vincennes

Today, at work, a customer asked me to unlock the restroom for them. I honestly couldn't figure out which gender they were, but I didn't want to be rude and ask, so I took a chance. I unlocked the wrong one. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 679
You deserved it 5 798

elizabethkalyn tells us more.

Couple of things. I couldn't have unlocked both, as the doors swing shut and relock as soon as you let them go. The customer was a natural born woman who looked and sounded a lot like a male. When they asked why I opened the men's, I just told them the women's was occupied. I have never made the mistake before and it was mortifying. She luckily was very cool about it:) also, both restrooms use the same key.

Top comments

I would have pretended I unlocked the wrong one without realizing it. Like "oh it's been a long day I wasn't even paying attention to which bathroom I was unlocking!"

Comments

joeyl2008 29

All you had to do is say the other restroom was out of order.

Have them pick the key...that's what I have done...or just act like you did grab the wrong one on accident...

Always guess female, if your wrong a guy might punch you, but if you guess male and it's a female your in for a full ass whopping with a side of getting fired.

It's more of a lesser of two evils situation.

That was possibly the dumbest comment I've ever read. A female is not going to do any more damage than a male.

Ive done simular while working at a call center. Apparently when a lady is yelling at you its not very productive to say "sir please calm down". But hey life goes on bro. Laugh it off

cryssycakesx3 22

saying sir is more a habit though I think.

I would have just played it off like I was unlocking both bathrooms.

Couple of things. I couldn't have unlocked both, as the doors swing shut and relock as soon as you let them go. The customer was a natural born woman who looked and sounded a lot like a male. When they asked why I opened the men's, I just told them the women's was occupied. I have never made the mistake before and it was mortifying. She luckily was very cool about it:) also, both restrooms use the same key.

Been there. It's especially fun when they're transgender!

Phew, at least you were quick thinking! I probably would've just been like "uhh.....so about that weather"

Nice save! I would have totally messed that one up by saying something like: It's okay, I see women go in here all the time! *facepalm*

doglover100 28

The other bathroom needs work it is messed up that is why I open this door.

arandomusernameaa 20

Yeh or not 81... OP's was a better and more realistic reason.

orsombre_fml 11

I used to look like a boy. So in your customer's case I would have said women's room!

That must have been mortifying. lmfao she was probably embarresed too though!

The fool me once shame on you fool me twice doesn't really apply here... Better luck next time OP...

OP you could of just made up an excuse like "well I might as well unlock both bathrooms since I'm right here."

No Sir, I think we'll just stick with OPs excuse.

have* what. is. so. hard. about it?!?!?!