By elizabethkalyn - 10/02/2014 20:48 - United States - Vincennes

Today, at work, a customer asked me to unlock the restroom for them. I honestly couldn't figure out which gender they were, but I didn't want to be rude and ask, so I took a chance. I unlocked the wrong one. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 679
You deserved it 5 798

elizabethkalyn tells us more.

Couple of things. I couldn't have unlocked both, as the doors swing shut and relock as soon as you let them go. The customer was a natural born woman who looked and sounded a lot like a male. When they asked why I opened the men's, I just told them the women's was occupied. I have never made the mistake before and it was mortifying. She luckily was very cool about it:) also, both restrooms use the same key.

Top comments

I would have pretended I unlocked the wrong one without realizing it. Like "oh it's been a long day I wasn't even paying attention to which bathroom I was unlocking!"

Comments

Why didn't you try to play it off like "oh was is this the female one?! I thought it was male! Silly me" if they were a male.

bro996 1

Op, I would have unlocked the one as the gender you are and then if you are wrong you could say sorry "sorry I have to go as well so why not open both"

I'm suspecting there was a big pair of moobs involved.

Could anyone tell me why asking someone's gender is considered rude? I've been made fun of and mistaken for a guy as a kid and I would much rather someone asks about my gender instead of calling me an 'It'.

I think it's more people are worried they'll upset the person, I went to school with a girl for three years, I could not work out if they were male or female, wasn't a freind of mine, though

I figure it's because unless the person is actually trying to look androgynous, if you ask a woman, she might think you mean she's so ugly she doesn't even look like a woman, and if you ask a man, he might be offended that you think he doesn't look manly. As a tall asian girl with small boobs and short hair, I'm used to be occasionally mistaken for a teenage boy unless I wear very feminine clothing, so I don't mind, but I've seen a good amount of people get really pissed.

I didn't want to comment on this one, but I started a comment and realized it was the wrong FML and can't delete.

Labrynthian 6

Hahaha. Should have just played it safe and unlocked both.

I would a asked them to wait while I went and unlocked both

Op said they couldn't open both. Come up with a more appropriate untimely solution. Just say standing or sitting? You might get a weird look but they have to go. The body's needs are imminent and worse the ignorance of the person helping you is just mildly irritating.

they aren't reading the others comments

Been there more than once. My rule of thumb is just assume female. Men mistaken for a female tend to get a lot less pissy or hurt than the other way around. FYL

op could have just opened one, and said sorry the other one is out of order.