By adoptablepuppy - 29/01/2016 01:17 - United States - Horseheads

Today, after weeks of debating with myself, I finally got the courage to ask out my best friend of 9 years. She turned me down, saying that dating me would be like adopting a puppy, and she doesn't want that kind of responsibility. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 045
You deserved it 2 807

adoptablepuppy tells us more.

adoptablepuppy 8

OP, here. Soooo.. I'm not a guy. And my friend is bisexual. But I thought it was great that you all thought I was a male, that and (most) of your comments actually made me feel better. For the other comments.. I know I deserved it, but it did suck, especially since I really didn't want to ask, but I thought "why not??".. Yeahhh.. I think I found out why not. ANYWAYS! For starters, we met when we were in middle school, I didn't have those kind of feelings for her back then. They've really just developed over the past few years. I haven't been in love with her for 9 years, that's just how long we've been friends. Okay, so this actually happened over a span of two days. The day I asked her out, she kind of freaked out, but she said it wasn't in a "bad" way. She mentioned that she had thought about a relationship with me in the past, and she was shocked that I was finally asking after so long, BUT that she needed time to think. I assumed that meant no, and I was assuming she would say no from the start. I asked her to just say no if she didn't want to, that I'm fine with it. She didn't answer when I said it, and she waited until the next day to answer.. with the puppy analogy. At first, she just drew "two girls = a girl with a dog" and gave me the drawing. I didn't know what that meant, so then she actually said what she meant it out loud. I was a bit annoyed that she didn't say no, she chose to choose an analogy. Honestly, a no would have been better (and less confusing.) I'm sure she didn't mean it in a bad way, she's not the greatest with words, but it hurt. I felt like it was a double smack in the face. We're still friends and I have no intentions of changing that. Anyhoo, thanks for the sweet comments. Hopefully some day I'll find "The One" and they won't think I'm a puppy. :*

Top comments

Sounds like she's just scared of it not working out and ruining your friendship. And she might view it as her 'responsibility' for it to work and not let that happen.

snarkytruth 37

Better her closest friend that lasts a lifetime than a relationship that turns sour and leaves your friendship awkward to impossible. Your lucky she's honest with you. Besides who doesn't love a puppy (so she does care), sounds like she thinks your just a little needy. Give yourself a couple more years to mature a little more and who knows...

Comments

Sometimes a relationship is not the best idea. But 9 years of dedication of getting out of the friendzone, I am impressed even with your failure.

snarkytruth 37

Better her closest friend that lasts a lifetime than a relationship that turns sour and leaves your friendship awkward to impossible. Your lucky she's honest with you. Besides who doesn't love a puppy (so she does care), sounds like she thinks your just a little needy. Give yourself a couple more years to mature a little more and who knows...

My personal policy is to state what I want at the beginning. If you don't want what I want, then the woman gets cut off immediately, and we no longer know each other. The problem is that the ones that are attracted to me are usually the opposite of what I want mentally, even though they may be physically great. When I do find someone who I feel is mentally on the same wavelength, and I pursue it, they don't want that, in which case, they also get eliminated. There's no need to waste any time on anyone.

I don't even know how you make long lasting relationships with this "policy" because half the time I fall for my friends who I didn't view romantically from the start.

The idea is to convey to the other person that I am interested at the get-go so that there is no confusion. If she doesn't want what I want, it's just going to go downhill from there, because I'm still gonna be attracted to her, and she will not. Therefore, to save myself time and energy, I cut it off at the root. For the record, I do have friends that I love and value very much, but it is usually established from the beginning, and I don't have or develop feelings for those people.

boredgirl_02 14

Trust me, your better off. My best friend of 7 years was in love with me and when he asked me out I knew I loved him as a friend so I went for it... It lasted 2 months before he realized I'm not what he wanted. Now we aren't friends....fb friends who randomly like a status but not the kind that hang out or talk. Now he's married with two kids for the girl he left me for. What you think you want sometimes is a temp thing

Well, relationships are never a "one size fits all" thing, and there certainly are couples who are both best friends and lovers, but ... you're definitely toeing a line if you've established the best friend dynamic and haven't even remotely discussed relationship topics. I think people blow it out of proportion, however: it's as simple as two people liking each other. If one person doesn't agree, the other person needs to STFU and move on to something else, or if he/she can't deal with it, cut the other person off completely. Easy.

Pray for our brother trapped in the friend zone

Coffee5555 14

Oh come on. with respect to your 9 years best friend but... YOU DON'T WANNA DATE A GIRL THAT TAKES HAVING A PET AS A BIG RESPONSIBILITY. do you??

Caring for a living thing is a big responsibility.

Yeah 18, pets are a huge responsibility. It's not like you give them some food, pet them and then leave it in a room by itself for the rest of the day. They require exercise (depending) and attention and training. Their habitat needs cleaned(depending) and they have to be groomed. From the sounds of it, you shouldn't be a pet owner.

Even the feeding and giving water is a responsibility. Is it rewarding and worth it? I definitely think so, but that doesn't change the fact you have to care for a whole other being.

UTreeHugginHip 4

A moment of silence for our brother, taken by the friendzone. We hope you get out of it, good luck good sir!

I'm sure she just really values the friendship you two have! Don't beat yourself up OP, you'll find the one

Some best friend. If she's willing to talk to you like that, it kinda seems like her opinion of you isn't too high. You can do better.

Badkarma4u 17

I have friends that are great as friends, but in relationships they are whiney, high maintenance, passive aggressive, attention seeking, ballbusting psychos. So we never take it to that level.

Personally, if someone compared me to a puppy and said they didn't want the responsibility of dealing with me, I'd be a little offended, romantic relationship or not. Maybe that's just me.