By freakingout - 02/09/2015 21:10 - United Kingdom - Coventry

Today, after the doctor poking around my urethra and vagina at a lump, she turns to me and says, "I'm going to be honest, I have no idea what that is. Have some antibiotics and we'll see how it goes in two weeks." Excuse me while I go panic in a corner. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 959
You deserved it 1 617

freakingout tells us more.

OP here, wow didn't expect it to make it on here ? Well so far no change, she even asked me are you sure it's not part of you, like how often does anybody know themselves there. What? I know myself very well there and it's not normal. Got an appointment with the gyno for next week so should be all good :) thought it was suspicious I got an appointment within half hour of ringing...

Top comments

leogachi 15

Go see another doctor. While doctors can't know everything, it was still really stupid of her to tell you to just take antibiotics for a few weeks and "see how it goes".

Shartie 16

Do you often get a lump in there?

Comments

OP here, wow didn't expect it to make it on here ? Well so far no change, she even asked me are you sure it's not part of you, like how often does anybody know themselves there. What? I know myself very well there and it's not normal. Got an appointment with the gyno for next week so should be all good :) thought it was suspicious I got an appointment within half hour of ringing...

KittyKoo 11

That is so weird, the same exact thing happened to me like 6 years ago

And?....AND???? You can't relate to this post and not go in detail -.-

Good luck with it! I hope its (even though this is super gross) just a weirdly placed pimple that doesn't cause too much damage to you :(

I had a weird lump for a while and it ended up being a cyst that had to be drained. Hopefully you find out what it is and it's nothing bad!

OMG #62 Those are absolute misery and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. I used to get them so frequently and they would turn to abscess so I got 3 surgeries to try to prevent them (two left side, one right). I've gone almost two years since a cyst turned to abscess. Thankfully a GYN can identify them easily if that's the case. Good luck, OP!

boeglie 16

hope you get the answers you need!

Definitely go see another doctor BEFORE those 2 weeks are up. Hope you're still in good health OP.

Don't accept "I don't know". Get a new doctor, and keep getting a new doctor until you find one that knows what he or she is doing. After 12 years of education and years of experience on the job, "I don't know" is not acceptable.

exus18 12

There's glands around your urethra and below your vaginal canal that can become blocked and are sometimes painful or not painful if it's one of these they will say cut it or warm compress it with antibiotics

Sounds like a Bartholins cyst but it's good that you're seeing a real gyno! What a tool that first doctor is.

There are a few actual doctors on FML. I hear most of them are bastards though.

boeglie 16

does no one else see a risk with randomly prescribing antibiotics? the body can become immune or vulnerable to resistant strains of infection if antibiotics are miss used.... too many doctors jump to prescriptions without all the facts or data. get a second opinion asap

Docs also use prescriptions to find out data. When I was going through some health issues I was prescribed antibiotics, anti inflammatories, and a few other things at different times to see what worked and what didn't. It helped the docs narrow down the list and saved me a bunch of expensive (and painful) testing.

And it didn't occur to you to get a second opinion?

I'm not an expert or anything, but if anyone has read Henrietta Lacks, it might be cervical cancer. Lumps of cancer cells form and grow bigger rapidly. Antibiotics will not help in this case because it is not a bacterial infection. Talk to your doctor about cancer screenings. If you catch it early enough, it could be prevented.

So, I've had cervical cancer. Just on basic anatomy, though, cervix is no where near a urethra. .. (cervical cancer is also extremely slow moving) OP, if it's painful, hot and came on rapidly, could be an infection/swollen gland. Hormonal cysts happen to me too (I hit the ladyparts jackpot)

Well. . Meant to reply to someone who was trying to talk to OP about cervical cancer.

Any health problem /might/ be cancer but there's no need to respond with that and raise OPs worries. Doctors are very aware of the risk of cancer and if they think something could be cancerous they'll send you for tests in the UK. Scaremongering isn't the way to approach this.