By evilplatypus - 11/02/2019 14:00 - United States - Cromwell

Today, after talking to my psychiatrist about a delusion I have - that I know is a delusion but simply can’t shake - he started frowning and pulled out the DSM-V. After thumbing through it for a while he looks at me and says, “That’s not in here.” FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 188
You deserved it 181

Same thing different taste

Top comments

WeirdUS 29

People who are delusional don't acknowledge it. They continue convinced what they believe is correct even in the face of facts they persist. Unrealistic expectations can be recognised but delusions no.

Alup132 22

Either you have some sort of rare mental illness, or he’s not qualified...

Comments

So do they name this new type of crazy after you? Kind of like Lou Gehrig's Disease?

Alup132 22

Either you have some sort of rare mental illness, or he’s not qualified...

WeirdUS 29

People who are delusional don't acknowledge it. They continue convinced what they believe is correct even in the face of facts they persist. Unrealistic expectations can be recognised but delusions no.

Alup132 22

Not exactly. For me, I used to always go in and out between having a delusion that all my friends wanna leave of that everyone’s talking about me, to being calm and know nothing is wrong, then I eventually noticed the pattern and fought it when possible.

Beta197 6

Thats absolutely not true. As a mental health crisis counselor, i can attest that people who suffer from delusions can be aware of them. It all depends on the current state of mind. A person who suffers from delusions usually has delusional episodes where they experience these symptoms. But when in a more lucid setting (usually when connected to proper treatment) they can understand that logically their delusion can’t be real, but still continue to experience it during these episodes.

That is incorrect. I work in psychiatry and some people don’t understand that it is not a shared reality (delusion) and others are aware that others don’t share that part of their reality. An unshared reality may also be part of a dissociative episode, where the person’s reality is in the past and their reaction does not fit current reality. It may also be a false core-belief with cognitive dissonance - knowing that the belief can’t be true but still behaving as though it is true because it’s a core fixed belief not a fleeting possible belief. Delusions are not always a symptom of mental illness, the same as hearing voices is not always a mental illness. I suggest you avoid the psychiatrists, unless it is severely impacting on your day to day life, and find a good clinical psychologist. You might also want to look at the ICD-11, it is more experience focused and less medical/labeling focused than the DSM-V (most countries don’t use that any more because the last review was done by certain medical persons accepting payments by certain unethical companies)

Kate Logan-Mason 3

As a psychology student... And yes, I know I'm a mere student, but I'm having a hard time with this. I'm gonna assume you mean a hallucination? Because a delusion is just a belief that you believe to be true regardless of lack of evidence to back it. If it is in fact a delusion then there are delusion-based disorders in the DSM-V so I have no idea what your psychiatrist is looking at. Idk if s/he's even reading it.... Haha. If it's hallucinations then there are plenty of things in the DSM for things you might see and know are not real. Definitely find a new psychiatrist. Even I can figure out that there are things in the DSM-V and I'm not even practising yet.

Gofuckyourself 24

Haha and see, as a social work student, I also think OP means hallucinations rather than delusions!

Is your delusion the idea that your psychiatrist knows what the **** he's doing?

Perhaps you mean “obsessive/intrusive thoughts” or “cognitive distortions”?

Perhaps your “psychiatrist” is a delusion?

bloopaloop 27

I hope the generation after millennials sees immediate their predecessors as full of shit.

Beta197 6

Your provider probably is so incompetent they looked through the DSM and when they didn’t see the specific delusion listed decided it must not be a thing. They r an idiot, and you need a new provider ASAP

Nhayaa 21

Well, homosexuality was once in that book so I wouldn't trust it anyway.