By Anonymous - 20/12/2015 10:19 - United States - Chesterfield

Today, after quitting my job to take a very attractive position with a competitor, I was told the position was no longer being offered. I'm now on my way to file for unemployment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 571
You deserved it 4 278

Same thing different taste

Top comments

UhHuhHoney 20

I was always told to quit a job knowing you have a legit backup. Good luck OP!

try to ask for your old one back. You never know

Comments

Did you at least try to get your old job back? I hope you quit in a professional manner. I don't think you can get unemployment if you willingly quit a job even if you thought you'd have another lined up.

never eat hot pickles on a full moon night, you'll turn into a pumpkin spice latte

Actually if you were told by the company you were going to move jobs to that you had the job, you have a legal case. You don't even need it in writing or contract form, verbal works. If they tell you "quit your job and come to us" and you quit your job then you have entered into a contract based on action, and they legally have to give you the job or compensate you for the damage they've caused (your loss of salary). If that's the case, contact an employment lawyer.

Sathane 21

There's a little thing called "evidence" that's needed. If there is no signed contract it's OP'S word against theirs. Good luck with that and I hope you have thousands of dollars in spare cash laying around for your lawyer.

Most employment lawyers take on the case and only require payment if you win, in which case they take part of what you were given as compensation from the company that wronged you.

gobroski 11

You can't get unemployment, you quit. Sigh. The gras is always greener on the other side!!!

You're wrong. In many parts of Canada and USA you are entitled to unemployment even if you quit, try Google, mate :)

25- only under certain circumstances does it cover quitting. That includes unsafe/unreasonable working conditions/caring for sick relative/change in nature of work. It doesn't include "I quit because I thought I could get paid more elsewhere."

33, I'm aware of that, however I thank you for your research. I was simply showing the commenter that "you quit so no unemployment" is not always correct.

While this really sucks, you never leave one job until you have another. YDI

I'd try and see if you can get hired back at your old company, maybe they'll be gracious enough to help you out, it is the season of miracles

That's completely your fault, you should have had a contract already signed with the new company instead of taking their word for it. I'm sorry, but ydi

Arent you supposed to try to get the other job before you quit you current job