By Annoyed student - 29/04/2017 04:00

Today, after extensively researching how to properly use in text citations out of fear of my professor reporting me for citing my quotes incorrectly. She reported me instead for forgetting quotation marks on three of my proudly and properly cited quotes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 779
You deserved it 1 537

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, to be fair, they aren't properly cited without quotation marks no matter how much time you spent on them

Druu 53

To be pedantic, they're "quotation marks," and not "quotations." To be less of a jerk but also to point out something relevant, block quotes do not use quotation marks. They get their own line, go one font size down, and get an extra indentation on both right and left margins.

Comments

Druu 53

Ooh, did you get cited for your cites?

Do you mind if I ask what grade you're in? At my high-school you learn about in text citations in grade 10 (currently learning about that). One of the first things we were told was to put it in quotations.

Druu 53

To be pedantic, they're "quotation marks," and not "quotations." To be less of a jerk but also to point out something relevant, block quotes do not use quotation marks. They get their own line, go one font size down, and get an extra indentation on both right and left margins.

Gaz_2_0, OP mentions "professor," so it's most likely a college/ university class. :-)

Too bad the majority of my students forgot most of this stuff between high school and college. Something in the water?

That "sucks." You should "report" your "teacher" for "being a bitch." "Hopefully," you'll get a chance to get "revenge" with "course evaluations" "."

species4872 19

Richard, you didn't cite your references....

Talis99 26

People need to stop telling other people to get revenge. Handle it like an adult instead of a psycho.

Discuss it with her and hopefully it can be fixed.

Well, to be fair, they aren't properly cited without quotation marks no matter how much time you spent on them

ProperPengTing 15

I went through something similar. I apa formatted my sources, cited them with quotes. Only to get 138 out of 140 b/c I didn't put a header. Tf?!!! All my other papers from the same professor with no headers were a1, but not this?! Foh!

Is it in-text citation? You only need quotation marks for in-text citation. Any other type of citation does not require quotation marks.

Since I people are likely to thumb me down for that I will provide two examples. Laura told me that she "was going to be at the supermarket in the afternoon, but it was closed". Laura told me that: I was going to be at the store today, but it was closed. (Not sure if FML) will keep my formatting, but the second one's quote should be centred on the screen, not justified.

I got marked down on a research paper once because i cited my sources. WTF?

I would guess that's not exactly what happened. Perhaps you cited your sources improperly or you attributed information to the wrong source? Or perhaps the credibility of your sources was doubtful?

Forgetting quotation marks if you are quoting something word is just as bad as not citing it plagiarism wise.