So that's a no, right?

By SadMan - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I went to ask my boss for a raise. Turns out they are firing 35 people. I wasn't on the list until I asked for a raise. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 861
You deserved it 7 452

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Would you people stop relating everything to "these economic times"? Yes, it has been better but it could also be worse. If someone thinks they deserve a raise, he/she should ask for it. A good company values good work even (or especially) in rough times. That way you keep people motivated to work hard. Firing someone because he asked for a raise is simply stupid. If you want to/have to fire 35 people, you fire those where it is beneficial to let them go. If you don't want to give someone a raise, you just say no. By the way, if a company is letting people go, it's always to have more money (well, duh) - in most cases not necessarily because you can't afford the employees anymore but because you have found a way to make it more cost-efficient. It makes more sense to let the people only work half time than to fire them. This way you don't have to spend money afterwards to train new employees.

your not supposed to ask for a raise in this economy everyone knows that D=

Comments

Why would you ask for a raise in this economy? Just be glad you have a job.

I have to agree.. I've never known anyone to ask for a raise in any job I've been in. A promotion or overtime or something maybe? But a raise? depends what kind of job I guess... just doesn't seem like a good idea.

The moral of the story - don't ask for a raise.

Ok, first off, they aren't being fired, they're being laid off. There's a big difference. The OP can not be fired simply by asking for a raise. Firings have to have reasons behind them or else it can turn into a wrongful termination suit. It is NOT a bad thing to ask for a raise in this economy. You just need to know how your company is doing. When it comes to the time when my contract is up in June, Im going to let the hospital I work for know that I am getting offers for 7-8 dollars more than what they are paying me. If they can't match that (and I know they can't) I am going full time with one of these other companies that is willing to pay me more, and I will go part-time with the hospital until they can replace my position. I know I'm spectacular in my job and luckily Im in a career that offers me this flexibility. It's kind of nice having at least 3 companies that are trying to lure me away. It gives me the leverage I need to get the best pay/benefits I can get. You have to know your field and know your company. You don't just go in and ask for a raise because you feel like it. You better be damned sure that you know what the consequences CAN be and weigh those in on your decision. The OPs job was obviously not that necessary to the company. He should have been ready for that and had a backup plan before he ever went in there.

Maybe, but I guess it's allowed. Ive already tested for 2 companies, working on the 3rd, and have interviewed with one. They've ALL said that if I wanted a full time position, I'd have it. Also, if I was willing to move, it would be paid for. That's just how the job market in my specialty is. To be in the job Im in, you have to have above a 90% accuracy rate, I have a 95+. I feel Im allowed to be proud of myself :)

Wow.... there are a lot of econo-cynics here. Except for you, Subtext; it's cute to see an idealist among the cynics. It kinda reminds me of a daisy popping out of the snow in the late winter/early spring. As for you, OP, if you knew about the firings, it's your fault. If you didn't know, then it was just bad timing - not because of the economy, but just because when something like firing 35 people is going down, you either have to put yourself out there, or stay the hell off their radar

I'm definetly not an idealist. I can only recount from my work experience at this company and I know that they don't do that stuff because they are so philantropic. For example the stuff with the meat - 50 bucks and 15 employees were happy - and they remember stuff like that. What people tend to forget is that the same company pays less than other companies in the same sector and they still get good employees. That doesn't work for every company of course. Discounters for example don't need that. Just give them a highly motivated (read: well-paid) manager who makes sure his subordinates do their jobs, don't complain and don't join labour unions.

Comentator 0

I'm a mean person but I honestly don't thin YDI. If you were off the "list" and were then put on because you asked for a raise, that's grounds for a lawsuit.

Not if they are being laid off. You can lay people off without reason.

Nic_hole 0

awwww that's messed up :(( How ironic though.

xmagster 0

um... you probably shouldn't have asked for a raise until you where sure you where out of the woods. also, if they are firing or laying people off, your company obviously doesn't have the money to go handing out raises. ¬¬ Use your brains people. I won't say YDI, but really?

If your boss feels like you deserve the award, they'll give it to you. You don't see actors asking for their oscars, do you? Of course not. It's the same way here. YDI for being an arrogant prick.

Maddoctor 10

That analogy makes no sense, especially since actors (usually movie actors) dictate their own salary for a movie, and the company that's producing the movie will meet it or not. Asking for a raise is not being arrogant or a prick; it's you voicing your opinion about how much you feel your output is worth at your job.