So that's a no, right?

By SadMan - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I went to ask my boss for a raise. Turns out they are firing 35 people. I wasn't on the list until I asked for a raise. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 861
You deserved it 7 452

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Would you people stop relating everything to "these economic times"? Yes, it has been better but it could also be worse. If someone thinks they deserve a raise, he/she should ask for it. A good company values good work even (or especially) in rough times. That way you keep people motivated to work hard. Firing someone because he asked for a raise is simply stupid. If you want to/have to fire 35 people, you fire those where it is beneficial to let them go. If you don't want to give someone a raise, you just say no. By the way, if a company is letting people go, it's always to have more money (well, duh) - in most cases not necessarily because you can't afford the employees anymore but because you have found a way to make it more cost-efficient. It makes more sense to let the people only work half time than to fire them. This way you don't have to spend money afterwards to train new employees.

your not supposed to ask for a raise in this economy everyone knows that D=

Comments

Wow...I'm kinda on the fence on this one. People who do their job well should ask for raises, but the economy definitely sucks right now. Regardless of what the deal is, his firing you because you asked for a raise, instead of just saying it wasn't going to be possible, was definitely a douchy move. You're obviously better off without him and even if you don't get cut, I'd start looking for a new job and get out of there ASAP.

perdix 29

You were probably a marginal employee at best, and were very close to making "the list" in the first place. It was your outrageous demand to be paid even more for your shitty performance that pushed you over the top.

haha i can't believe you would ask for a raise in the middle of this economic climate. there are jobless people who would've done your job for half the pay. oh well- shit happens. lesson learned i hope.

You are an idiot. Return to kindergarten please.

Americunt 0

WELL DON'T BLAME HIM, BLAME GEORGE BUSH FOR BEING A RETARD. BLAME ALL THOSE STUPID RICH PEOPLE THAT SPEND MONEY ON BULLSHIT. Like nicholas cage, he's bankrupt and broke, after all those stupid movies he has done. FYl, OP.

Because it's George Bush's fault the economy is bad, and not the people who fought to make it easier to get loans, so people could get loans they can't afford, then the banks don't get their money back, and the economy suffers.

xmagster 0

Seriously? If you even paid attention to why the economy has suffered in the last few years, you would know it was because of Americans (not even necessarily wealthy Americans) who continually refinanced their homes to have bigger homes and be able to afford more stuff. When the housing market peaked, people ended up owing $900,000 on a $500,000 home and where unable to pay for it. Don't always blindly blame the president or rich people. Blame irresponsible people for the economic climate. (which isn't even that terrible. Seriously. I feel for those who are not jobless, but this is nowhere near as bad as it could have been or the Great Depression... )

I don't see how asking for a raise is fire worthy?? I mean.. yeh it's economicly bad times but then their emplyers should have just said no to the pay rise.. istead of getting rid of, I'm assuming, a good employee?!

Especially in bad times you should think about bonuses and raises. Paradox? Yeah. But if the economy is bad and the company struggling, people are afraid of what will happen to them. They are not content. If you throw stuff at them, they get the feeling "it's not that bad" and "we are doing fine". It's always important to have employees that are a) performing good and b) motivated. You won't get either if you treat them like shit. They have to be sure that you reward them for hard work. If that means they charge off a 4kg piece of roastbeef and grill it in a back room after a special occasion (where it puts a strain on everyone), most bosses look the other way. Or even join in. I "work" (actually in a sandwich course) for one of the largest business groups in the world (they "kicked" Walmart out of Germany :)) and we are quite anal about treating our employees well. People who don't support their subordinates basically never make it past floor manager and in most branches people actually like and trust their bosses. I'm not yet qualified enough to give an opinion about that, but I think this stuff matters :)

Well, now you'll get a huge pay cut. Have fun in the unemployment line.

10% unemployment rate and you go to your boss for a raise..... Still, too bad instead of just saying no they fired you, probably were looking for excuses to fire more people and you gave them a really good once FYL. Next time you take such a such a drastic step use your brain a little more and ask around the office a bit. I'm sure rumors were flying around that people were gonna get fired, if you'd only just tried to be pre-emptive you would still have a job.

There wasn't necessarily an indication of what was going on. At my place, when they laid off several employees, they kept things very tightly under wraps. No one, besides the people making the decisions, knew anything about it until it dropped.

I dont know what to say bad timing or you were already on the list.

After reading it, it sounds to me that they were told that asking had out them on said list.

#16 hit the nail on the said. he's always willing to get straight to the points that everyone else tip-toes around... and regardless of what you think 35 people are not being fired for to make $, they're being fired to cutback / save $. Bad timing, indeed.