So that's a no, right?

By SadMan - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I went to ask my boss for a raise. Turns out they are firing 35 people. I wasn't on the list until I asked for a raise. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 861
You deserved it 7 452

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Would you people stop relating everything to "these economic times"? Yes, it has been better but it could also be worse. If someone thinks they deserve a raise, he/she should ask for it. A good company values good work even (or especially) in rough times. That way you keep people motivated to work hard. Firing someone because he asked for a raise is simply stupid. If you want to/have to fire 35 people, you fire those where it is beneficial to let them go. If you don't want to give someone a raise, you just say no. By the way, if a company is letting people go, it's always to have more money (well, duh) - in most cases not necessarily because you can't afford the employees anymore but because you have found a way to make it more cost-efficient. It makes more sense to let the people only work half time than to fire them. This way you don't have to spend money afterwards to train new employees.

your not supposed to ask for a raise in this economy everyone knows that D=

Comments

xelectrickiss 0

you're lucky you even HAVE a job in this economy. i think you're just selfish that your going and asking for a raise. it's called being happy with what you have.

Why is everyone hating OP for asking for a raise? Sometimes you have to ask to get one, or else you're stuck at minimum wage. Sometimes you actually need one. You don't know the situation OP is in. So stop judging.

check out the laws on hiring/firing for your state. If it is a "right to work" state, you may be entitled compensation which costs them even more in unemployment and other entitled benefits. Otherwise you are SOL, good luck finding another job in this tough economy.

Next time,he will shut the f*ck up.and be happy for his damn job...But seriously dude owned

Quagmire_ladies 9

...corrections...36 people fired OP, Hahaha

Quit bagging on him for asking for a raise! I've been working at my current place of employment for 2 years, and they still pay me minimum wage. I'm reliable and responsible, I often do tasks out of my specified position and I wish I could ask for a raise. Unfortunately, several people were just laid off just as I was getting the nerve to ask the bosses for one, so I'm still working for minimum rage. OP isn't selfish at all for taking the initiative, he probably figured the worst was they could turn him down, but that there was no harm in trying. Many employers admire when people take the initiative to do so because it shows drive and ambition. So, it didn't work out well for him. He doesn't deserve to get ripped on for trying.

In canada, they cant fire u for no reason :P

Pretty sure they can't fire you based on the fact that you asked for a raise

Well. That is some really unfortunate timing.