Mother's Day Flashback

By dyingangel246 - This FML is from back in 2014 but it's good stuff - United States - Wooster

Today, my fiancé and I told my future mother-in-law that we are expecting. Her response was, "Why are you doing this to me?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 169
You deserved it 4 812

dyingangel246 tells us more.

Hi everyone, OP here. I'd like to start by saying that the few of you who said she doesn't like me, you are probably right. When my fiance and I got engaged she didn't want to tell her family, to this day 2 years later I don't know who does and doesn't know. I believe she doesn't want to accept the fact that her 27, almost 28 year old son is getting married and starting a family. I myself am 26. My family on the other hand is super excited. She has stated a couple times that she is in no position to support us once the baby gets here. My fiance works 45+ hours a week at a very good job so we will be fine. We tried telling her that we won't need her support financially and she doesn't believe us. We live somewhere there is enough room to raise a child. Also my insurance will cover all of our hospital and Dr bills. My fiance and I have been together for over 5 years and living together for almost 3. We both love each other very much and are excited about the life we created. I figure if that's how she wants to act then oh well it's her loss! Sorry that was so long!

Top comments

what an awful thing to say about her own future granchild!! she sounds very self centered

I think you completely misunderstood this FML!

Comments

skittyskatbrat 19

Time to move up the wedding date!!!! The earlier the better, because even if everything goes perfect, you're going to have a lot of time and energy taken up growing that baby...and you sure don't want the bridal shower and baby shower to be on the same day, either. I'm glad you are happy about it, but it's going to take some juggling to get everything done. Babies make you more tired than you'd ever believe that first trimester. Best of luck to you, your hubby-to-be, and the baby!

Why would they have to move up the wedding date? How do you even know when the date is? They might be getting married this weekend. Besides, what does it matter if they have a child before they are legally married?

It matters a lot. It's disgusting and immature. It's not that hard to prevent pregnancy till you actually hit a point in your life when it's planned and mentally and financially they're ready.

30-- I think 17 was suggesting changing the wedding date so she can have time and energy to celebrate and enjoy her wedding-- so she's not too tired or can fit into the wedding dress she wants. And so she can have a separate bridal and baby shower and enjoy both-- not in order to avoid having the baby out of wedlock. 69-- really? How do you know OP and her fiancé aren't financially and emotionally ready?

The OP and her fiancé could already be ready to have a child. Just because they aren't married doesn't mean they couldn't have been trying for a baby either it doesn't necessarily have to have been an accident that they were trying to prevent.

I see her less than supportive attitude. Congrats, let it be a happy time.

She probably thinks it's a little too early.. But still, she shouldn't have phrased it in such an awful manner. Having a baby with someone you love is a blessing!! Congrats and best wishes to you and your family! =)

perhaps she thinks she will end up having to raise the kid

Lil_Red777 21

I don't see how she'd think that considering they're getting married.

jazzy_123 20

yeah but maybe op and her fiance are busy a lot of the times and the mother-in-law thinks she might have to babysit on the days mom and dad can't take care of the child.

Lil_Red777 21

There is such a thing as daycare.

Ari1337 15

why pay for day care when you have a mother in law who could do it for free? Day care ain't cheap.

I will be a stay at home mom. My fiance will be working 9 hour days but I have ppl who will be able to help me out if I need help.

jazzy_123 20

some people can't afford daycare -,- also, it's a hard having people take care of your children, specifically with discipline. My mom had a hard time with my siblings and me, but both my parents needed to work to make it. So my aunt took care of us and was terrible at it. We'd get sick from the food she made us, I'd get lost at the stores all the time, etc.. good for you Op that you and your husband can work something out (:

Lil_Red777 21

I get free daycare, soooo it's possible.

moonsalt 20

I can see this being more innocent than the FML is letting on. I like to think that MOST mothers mean well. Maybe she doesn't think you're ready. Maybe it was a joke. Alas, we won't know for sure unless OP gives us some feedback.

jazzy_123 20

I thought that too. Just because she said that now, doesn't mean she'll have negative feelings towards the her own grandchild.

You could try pretending that she meant. Why are you doing this to me. It's too much excitement in such a short space of time.

Sounds like she doesn't want to be a grandma yet.

conqueror57 11

Nothing says "classy" like having the flower girl or ring bearer at your wedding be your own child.

Goblin182 26

Drama queens, you gotta love them, right?

I don't think she likes you very much...just a thought