Lay the blame

By jobless - 13/09/2015 14:07 - United States

Today, a guy came into my gas station, showed me the gun on his hip, and asked me to kindly empty the register. My asshole boss claimed afterwards that because we live in an open carry state, and because the guy didn't point the gun at me, that there was no actual robbery and I just gave him free money. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 716
You deserved it 2 810

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your manager is an idiot. Period. Fyl OP.

Better not to work for someone who values money more than your life

Comments

did your boss have an extra bowl of stupid for breakfast?

No bosses wanna have a death situation on their hand before it screams "CAUTION"

It's okay you don't need a job you know how to rob the place without been charged for armed robbery.

I have a carry permit, and i an not allowed to bring my gun to work....

AHzulu 25

The employees of my local gas stations are all armed.

RedPillSucks 31

laws differ from state to state, and I think employers can make exceptions, like banks, libraries, schools, etc

Badkarma4u 17

Call the cops, have them explain it to your boss.

Sounds like you acted reasonably to me

it's obviously just corporate greed. employers could care less if you die, that's one less person they have to pay. all businesses worry more about profits and money than they do about "replaceable" workers.

itwasntme14 19

I don't think the owner or manager of a connivence store can be 'guilty' of corporate greed. Their income is still probably well under six figures.

Allornone 35

actually, most corporations are so afraid of potential lawsuits that employee safety in a situation like that is top priority. You're right that they still don't actually care, but if op works for a corporation, he could probably report his boss's attitude to higher ups (like a district manager) and save his job (if he still wants it after this bs). it doesn't sound like he does, though.

Fr0gs 15

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I haven't any idea why this is down voted. You're correct, not being offensive.

ourtneyc 14

I agreed with your boss for a split second and then I thought "he had a gun and he threatened you.. sounds like a robbery to me"

ourtneyc 14

idk why this had downvotes I said I agreed for a second and then actually thought about it and realized it was indeed a robbery so lmao

acerredrum 23

Because for a moment you thought someone who had a gun and asked someone to empty the register was not robbing the place. That is why you are down voted.

Robbery (noun) - Law. the felonious taking of the property of another from his or her person or in his or her immediate presence, against his or her will, by violence or intimidation. I guess most people would technically consider it intimidation, but since the man was being polite and never showed any actual intent to use the gun there's no way to prove it and by law and evidence it effectively is not robbery.

acerredrum 23

I love how everyone is assuming he was polite. It said he asked if OP could kindly give him the money. I have asked people to "Kindly shut the **** up." It doesn't mean that the robber was being polite, but that the robber was telling OP to be polite.

But I think we can safely assume the robber didn't yell or raise his voice. When asking someone to kindly do something even if it's "shut the **** up", it's generally going to be in an insincere almost mockingly polite tone of voice. So still no way to prove intent or anything else you would have to to get him arrested.

The mental hoops you have to jump through to see "he was polite" and reach the conclusion that "it wasn't a robbery attempt" is amazing. How do you manage such mental acrobatics?

It's called looking at the facts (at least those we know from the FML) and being logical.