It's not a phase, mom!

By gelly donut - 22/10/2023 20:00

Today, my parents disowned me because I told them I don’t want kids. FML
I agree, your life sucks 874
You deserved it 137

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's a certain type of parent that had kids not because they wanted kids but because That's What They Should Do. No reason not to have kids is good enough for them because they suffered for years, so so should you. Nevermind that being raised by someone who patently didn't want them can leave kids with lifelong psychological trauma. I think your way of handling things is way healthier.

He's never serious. And only sometimes funny.

Comments

well then sounds like they don't have a kid anymore either! cut off all contact and they'll fold first. even if they don't you don't want someone to control your life anyway

Sounds about right. Grandchildren are the reward for the sacrifice and grief of raising children. Your refusal to reproduce makes their whole project futile. When you screw people over, you get screwed over.

I hope your kidding and don't actually believe that. that's not why you have kids.

He's never serious. And only sometimes funny.

illbethejudge 2

Having kids just because you want something from them in the future is selfish and ****** up. Kids are not a project. They are not dolls or accessories. They are humans who will grow up to be their own people with their own lives. They don’t owe you shit.

OP unless you are still living with your parents or they are fantasticly rich, being disowned has a lot less impact than you might imagine. It’s pretty rare for there to be much left of the “family estate” by the time both parents die… Having children is a very personal choice, and it’s often one than changes with time and circumstance. It’s ridiculous that your parents think they could dictate if you have children or not… I would say that this could have been avoided by not talking about it in the first place. While full disclosure sounds like a good idea in principle, in practice it’s not always a good idea to tell people everything you are thinking if you know they disagree strongly. I’m not saying OP was wrong in what they said, just that they cannot change their idiot parents.

Not to mention that it's doubtful that whatever you'd inherit would equal the cost of raising even one child.

There's a certain type of parent that had kids not because they wanted kids but because That's What They Should Do. No reason not to have kids is good enough for them because they suffered for years, so so should you. Nevermind that being raised by someone who patently didn't want them can leave kids with lifelong psychological trauma. I think your way of handling things is way healthier.

Evidently they feel the same way. Must be hereditary.