How did you manage that?

By Anonymous - 10/04/2009 14:35 - United States

Today, I was driving my car like any ordinary day. My dad had been harping on me about not checking the oil, so I finally checked it. Driving down the road my hood flew up and shattered my windshield. I forgot to latch my hood after checking the oil. $300 for a new windshield. The oil was fine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 305
You deserved it 62 733

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think that along with a driving test, a "Simple car care 101" test has to be taken too in order to have a licence. If you can't take care of your car you shouldnt have one !

I don't think this is fake. Not everyone's car act's the same way.

Comments

random_thought 0

i wouldn't blame your dad. and #70 you need to explain to insurance how it broke...

The_truman_show 0

My family owns a collision repair shop, at which I have spent years working on vehicals. Most of our work is insurance claims, which as you can imagine is about every possible type of damage. I have repaired MANY cars and trucks of different makes and models that have suffered from similar situations. Although most vehicals have a two stage locking mechanism, the first grabs the "u" shaped piece on your hood to prevent it from flying up if not locked securely, and the second locks the hood down in the flush position. There are many situations and variables that can cause the hood to be released. If the second locking stage wasn't initiated, or if the hood was set down lightly and wasn't locked at all, the situation described is a definate possibility. If you think a hood being forced up by even a 50 mph wind won't absolutely destroy a windshield, you are very wrong. Although the hinges aren't designed for the hood to swing all the way back to the windshield, they are no match for the forces and leverage that would be applied to them by a hood (which can easily weigh 40 Lbs, even on a small car). As far as the windshield is concerned, yes they are made of tempered glass layered with plastic to prevent from shattering, but they completely fold when hit with that kind of force. just thought I'd put my two cents in. So anyone who claims that this could not have happened, your simply wrong.

Lol, sounds like Tommy Boy the movie.

that happened to me and my cousin before but it happened when we came from a wal mart oil change and they like didnt put the hood down all the way and it was like random too scared the hell out of me

FmlBuddy 0

better to be safe than sorry, its the thought that counts

fyankezplayer13 0

now your dad needs to broaden the reason for harping on you into learn to take care of your car. daddy wont always be there to do it for you, and this shit happens to you because you rely on others too much

ginnyxgorewhore 0

83 - not all cars are built that way.