Holiday cheer

By Anonymous - 03/01/2021 08:02 - United States - Gwynn Oak

Today, I’m convinced my mother in law comes over every holiday just to make me miserable. She comes in, criticizes me food, snarks then ignores the kids. I dread every holiday and spend it getting drunk and casting F-you glances at my husband. Is it wrong to buy her a casket for the next holiday? Is it really? FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 010
You deserved it 147

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yes, caskets are expensive. She deserves to have her corpse disposed of in a more cost-effective manner.

While I sympathize with being upset about an unwanted, critical, and snarky guest; your reaction of getting drunk while she’s there is self-defeating. It just reinforces MIL’s poor opinion of you. This is actually an issue that has to be solved with your husband. He has to stand up for you and un-invite his mom from any future visits. Until he does that you are stuck with her unwanted presence.

Comments

Yes, caskets are expensive. She deserves to have her corpse disposed of in a more cost-effective manner.

While I sympathize with being upset about an unwanted, critical, and snarky guest; your reaction of getting drunk while she’s there is self-defeating. It just reinforces MIL’s poor opinion of you. This is actually an issue that has to be solved with your husband. He has to stand up for you and un-invite his mom from any future visits. Until he does that you are stuck with her unwanted presence.

Book vacations with the children in a resort for the next holidays. It works even better now, since you will have to quarantine away from the old hag for fourteen days after the vacations. If your husband doesn't want to be left alone with Mother, he knows what to do.

tounces7 27

My first question is, does your husband not know that she makes you so miserable, or are you married to an asshole?

Warp1978 15

Do it, she'll probably sleep in it.

2deployments1divorce 10

I can’t believe that you getting drunk to cope with it actually makes anything better. That’s possibly a warning sign of dependence. You cannot completely cut off your husband’s family, but you do need to have clear boundaries, both with your monster in law and your husband. Do you actually converse with your husband and try and solve the issue or do you just get drunk and hope he reads your mind? You need to have a talk with him and he (and possibly both of you) need to have a talk with her. And you can’t start it all off with “f-you” as an atitude. Currently your behavior seems almost as toxic as your monster-in-law’s.

Yummi_913 18

Correction: You CAN TOTALLY cut off your husband's family. She doesn't respect you or the kids so if your husband wants a relationship with her, he can do it on his own OUTSIDE the family home.

See reddit subreddit r/justnomil for proof of cutting off family...

bobsanction 18
Yummi_913 18

I completely sympathise with having a shit MIL and suggest putting your foot down with your husband about it and making damn sure you come to a solution. On the other hand, it's bad enough for your kids to be ignored by their grandma, but to then also have to spend every damn holiday season watching their own mother get pissy and shitfaced??? Do you not care what you're putting them through? Just because you're miserable doesn't mean you don't have a responsibility to your kids happiness or in providing them a healthy environment. You may think they don't notice but I promise you they do.