Help!

By clip_kate - 01/07/2016 02:36

Today, I went to the store, but after I'd selected my items, I saw that I'd forgotten my wallet. When I tried to explain to the cashier, he thought that I was trying to steal and called the cops. My roommate had to come to the store to save me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 279
You deserved it 1 389

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"That'll be thirty seven dollars and eighty one cents." "Okay. …Actually, I think my wallet is at home. Could I run back and grab it? If you need me to, I'll put the ite—" "STOP! THEIF! COPS! HERE, COPS, I'M CALLING YOUUUU!" "Look, I'm not taking anything with me! How is that thievery? I'm just going to leave!" "YOU CAN'T LEAVE! You have to stay here, stealing these items until the cops or a roommate come!"

Why would the cashier assume you were trying to steal stuff by forgetting your wallet. Makes no sense

Comments

I work at a convenience store - Ive had people tell me when they get to the cash register that theyve either forgetten their wallet or debit card at home. Ive put their stuff aside until they come back to pay for it. My mom did that once about 30 years ago when I went with her to get groceries - the cashier had rung up her stuff and my mom realized she left her wallet at her house. The cashier didnt even bat a lash - just put my moms order on hold and I waited at the store with the groceries when she went home and came back. Point being - unless you were acting auspicious, there shouldnt have been any reason the cops were called. Cashiers realize shit happens.

Rammer3500 23

I work in a grocery store and people forget their wallets all the time. We just suspend the transaction and hold their items until they get back...

It's safe to say the cashier is an idiot.

As someone who works at a grocery store, I can tell you that's completely wrong. All we do is save the order and bring it to customer service. We will even put it in the coolers if you have perishable groceries. Some people actually never come back for their stuff which is stupid, because some stuff has to be thrown away. Sorry you had to deal with an idiot, OP.

that doesn't even make sense. if you were trying to steal why would you bring it to the counter? dudes an idiot.

.........brings items to the register. you:"I just wanted you to know I'm stealing these." cashier:"Excuse me, what did you just say?" you:"I'm stealing these. Could you ring them up so I can assess a street value?" cashier:"Ok, I'll need my manager's help on how to continue this transaction." you:"I can wait." ........cops show up officer:"Excuse me but the cashier said you were going to steal these items." you:"No, what happened was I forgot my wallet and was asking if she could hold them while I went home and got it, or had someone bring it to me." officer:"Ok, have a good day and I'll straighten things out with the store." It could happen, right?

Could racism have been the cashier's motivation?

Having some trouble understanding this one. Honestly, there is nothing a store could do if you filled an entire buggy with stuff, went to check out, and then said "Oh, I don't have my wallet, woops." Oh, I mean they would be rightfully annoyed, but that isn't theft by ANY means. Technically, until you exit the store with stolen items, there would have been no crime either. What kind of store was this OP? I can't imagine a major chain doing this, they would have just had security check you, if it was a local joint, it was asinine for them to call the police & I would have seriously complained to the management, not FML. Sorry but these sounds like either BS or very misleading.

STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM! NOBODY BREAKS THE LAW ON MY WATCH!

Exactly why I'm a dual citizen in an eu country and the U.S., with passports from each country; I can travel the world with no issue.