Don't come

By anonymous - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff

Today, my parents and in-laws are in a bidding war for the house next door, since we are about to have a son. We're not even sure if we want them living this close. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 441
You deserved it 1 550

Top comments

Get a dog and train him/her to build a shit barrier in their yard to keep them away from your house.

I would normally say that having parents or in laws close would be good for helping with the baby...but not that close to you.

Comments

Get a dog and train him/her to build a shit barrier in their yard to keep them away from your house.

CheekyRaccoon 27

If they should purchase the house next door, everything goes to slow motion every time they come over, while your sound system plays ode to joy. Then the hilarity insues.

and then your mother pats you on the head through the mail slot.

Lol I was waiting for this, one of my favorite sitcoms.

I hope you have thick walls or else they might not be getting any other grandkids anytime soon!

I would normally say that having parents or in laws close would be good for helping with the baby...but not that close to you.

TweetAnne 13

You should speak to them immediately before they take any decision regarding buying the house.

Or even speak to the realtor. Explain the situation and maybe they'll be kind enough to not let go to either.

#37, I don't think you can just go to a realtor and tell them not to give the house to someone just because you don't want them living next door; unless you have proof their stalking you or have a restraining order against them, things like that. And I don't think a realtor would legally be allowed to not let someone make an offer on a house just because someone asked them too.

A family photo and a pregnant belly are proof. Look, all I'm saying is maybe the realtor 'might' consider her inquiry for the house to go to another couple. I highly doubt that her parents and in-laws are the only ones bidding on the house. And as these comments show, no one likes the idea of their parents or in-laws living anywhere on their block, let alone next door. You never know unless you try, maybe the realtor will show sympathy and understanding.

Cyrus00 41

Or they'll just jack up the price knowing what's at stake.

Hey, having family close by is not a bad thing at all, unless there are serious hate issues. Just think of all the times you can drop off junior next door and go on a date! It's a win-win scenario for everybody.

You can do that either way. You don't necessarily need them to live next door.

That isn't always the case. They'll be right next door. Try saying no to a visit when they're right there and all you want to do is NOTHING that evening. Good Luck! My MIL lives 20 minutes away. I think you need at least a few miles between you to keep sane. There would be no privacy!

I would say it's awesome having family close but in your case OP I don't think so. Besides a bidding war for the house next door is kinda creepy....

Cow_Girl_Lilly 24

If it's the first grandkid I understand them wanting to be close. But they should never be that close.