Are you? Are you really?

By Anonymous - 22/10/2021 05:01

Today, a friend from our circle group told me that my behavior of responding her stories with another related story of mine was annoying. I'm was sorry about that and decided to introspect and not show up in our group chat for a while. Then I realized I'm a toxic person. FML
I agree, your life sucks 652
You deserved it 484

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Nikki 16

You’re not toxic, that’s just how some people show that they are acknowledging the other persons story by sharing their own, you can try to do it less but it’s a trait of yours and if anything your friend is a bit rude

MeganBPD 4

Agreed. That’s not you being toxic. That is how MANY people everywhere relate to others. Their stories somehow trigger a memory of our own and so we want to share it, JUST LIKE THEY DID. It’s not toxic. It is a normal personality trait and if this “friend” can’t handle not being the centre of attention for longer than their own story, then they should get down off of the pedestal they have themselves on and take a good look at it. They’ll realize that it’s not a pedestal at all, it’s a toilet. Sorry - bit harsh, sure - but I hate people who act that way. The only exception (IMO) to this would be if you are a) intentionally annoying this person (which you’ve made clear that you’re not) or b) you’re trying to one-up their stories, and not simply telling them for the sake of sharing your story (though I doubt this is the case as well).

Comments

You’re not toxic. A lot of people do this. It’s an expression of mutual experience. You’re showing that you have also felt that way/seen that place/did that thing as a way to foster a connection with the other person. Sharing stories in this way is more common in those who have ADHD or ASD since mirroring behavior and speech is generally a big part of how we subconsciously try to fit in. (I say we bc I am one of those people and I want to make sure people on here don’t think I’m being judgmental or rude for putting the mental health thing in there) I took an interpersonal communications class back in college that helped so, so, SO much. The point of this rant is simply this: you aren’t toxic, you simply communicate differently and that’s completely okay.

randybryant799 20

I don't think you need to go that far. Calling yourself toxic...