You tried

By Anonymous - 25/11/2020 15:06 - United States - Albuquerque

Today, I'm in my late thirties, I quit my dream job to go back to school in hopes of providing a better future for my family. All my wife does anymore is bitch about how she has to support the family and do everything. I just found out that my grades aren't good enough to continue my college program. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 079
You deserved it 687

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I mean, when you can't even spell it correctly I wouldn't have high hopes either. im on your wifes side.

Why would you quit your dream job? If your wife makes enough for your family to get by while you make collages, surely your family was comfortable when you were working at your dream job. I'm curious -- how do you fail at collage? Is it too much glue, or too little?

Comments

genuinegoodguy 9

If you tried your best then that’s such a shame. Please don’t regret it.

I mean, when you can't even spell it correctly I wouldn't have high hopes either. im on your wifes side.

OP, if you gave college your best shot - meaning doing all the assignments and spending the time required for studying and homework; and you are not succeeding. Then it means one of three things: (1) You need to learn how to be in school again. (2) The major you are in is not for you. (3) Or, You are not cut out for college. You need to figure out which is the problem. You might talk to one of the counselors, they might be able to help you figure it out. Then depending on that and your grade situation and your finances you have to either make a new plan or tweak your present one. It can be harder to go back to school after many years away from school than going straight from High School to college because many people get out of the habit and frame of mind for learning. There is a great deal of critical reading in any college course. If you get out of the habit of doing that, then that’s a problem. On the other hand often the more mature students are more dedicated to their classes and less distracted by the socializing aspects so sometimes they do better. So there are pluses and minuses for an older student. It depends on your talents, habits, and motivation. OP, people are fortunate to find a “dream job” meaning one that fits your talents and abilities well. If you have to re-enter the workplace now remember that you found one once and you should be able to do it again. Usually a good job fit enables you to perform well and that usually eventually leads to reasonable pay. One piece of family advice. Always talk over any big decisions about job or career changes or going back to school with your spouse. What affects one person affects the other, so listen to your spouse before making career decisions. Communication is the key, not necessarily that one or the other of you has the “final say.” If your spouse is in on your major decisions as you make them they are more likely to be supportive of the results of those decisions. It’s not always easy, but it’s worth it in the end. Sometimes a different perspective can help you make a better decision, and each feeling like both partners had a say makes the temporary difficulties more bearable.

Why would you quit your dream job? If your wife makes enough for your family to get by while you make collages, surely your family was comfortable when you were working at your dream job. I'm curious -- how do you fail at collage? Is it too much glue, or too little?

A “Dream Job” depends on what your dream is at the time. Most of us assume it means a job that is a good fit for your talents and skills where you can do well or excel at your job. But if your dream is to take it easy and have an enjoyable time, it might not be a financially rewarding or stable job. When I was a teen I worked at a Drive In Theatre. I enjoyed the rhythm of slow times when you got ready for the the coming rush or just had time to take it easy and the fast times when you were working fast as you could. And I enjoyed seeing all the movies for free. When I was a teen it was a dream job for me at the time but the pay was terrible. As an adult my dream job was being an electronic engineer working on a team creating a new product. Your “dream” changes during your life and career. If your definition of a “dream job” is one that fits your talents and skills and lets you feel productive and valued then that’s a good dream job. I am assuming that OP’s “dream job” was like that, but there’s no guarantee that was the case.

tounces7 27

Did you actually talk this over with your wife before making this decision?