Unreasonable

By Tanner_6969 - 11/05/2019 04:00

Today, my boss told me I can't use the computer for entertainment. This coming from the same person who spends hours at a time every day on Facebook and other similar websites. I'm also not allowed to sit down while using the computer, which I use about half of the day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 942
You deserved it 238

Same thing different taste

Top comments

WeirdUS 29

Yeah your boss is going to have way more room as far as things this can’t be a surprise. You got to be pretty young and or naive to think otherwise.

manb91gb 15

Yeah, I guess you don't know that the bosses are the ones that make the rules, not follow them right?

Comments

manb91gb 15

Yeah, I guess you don't know that the bosses are the ones that make the rules, not follow them right?

WeirdUS 29

Yeah your boss is going to have way more room as far as things this can’t be a surprise. You got to be pretty young and or naive to think otherwise.

The no entertainment part is totally understandable. The no sitting is probably illegal.

Plenty of jobs that you can’t sit at.

Yes, but if OP is using the computer half the day, you should be allowed to sit while using it, especially if you have to hunch over. If its a standing desk then OP has to wait until breaks/lunch. OSHA apparently does keep on top of workplaces going against ergonomic safety, and that includes having to use a computer for long periods of time hunched over with no relief. (Includes more and additional things per state, but this is the issue at hand.) https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/hr-qa/pages/ergonomics-do-employers-have-to-provide-ergonomically-correct-furniture-under-osha-requirements.aspx If OP is in helpdesk IT, I feel bad. Yeah you're helping people half the day but you're also doing stuff on the computer remotely. Not sure whats going on though.

Corporate 101 When bosses do it, it’s called networking. When underlings do it, it’s called goofing off. Get use to the double standard. It’s pretty much every job.

Not exactly a double standard. Boss wants you and hired you to be there to work. Your boss owns/runs the company and delegates his work to you. He can do whatever the **** he wants! Doesn't mean its going to feel or look nice on him. The boss is an ass, especially if OP is just using it for entertainment during his lunch break.

That is the definition of a double standard right there.

It'd be a double standard if it we're two workers with different allowances, the guy is complaining his boss/owner doesn't have to work and his literal rules for employees states they're not allowed to do what OP said. It's OPs job, not a double standard.

Sitting is the new smoking, so the boss is really looking out for your health. You can now sing that new rebel anthem. “Sitting in the Boys’ Room!”

J15237 25

Do you have an HR Department? If so time to have a chat with them. If not then report your employer