By Whackgourd - 11/12/2013 18:25 - Canada - Lindsay

Today, while on my way to work, an elderly woman complimented me on my breast cancer scarf. I explained that my grandmother made one for all her female grandchildren before passing away two years ago. The woman then went psycho and almost strangled me in an attempt to steal it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 233
You deserved it 2 915

Whackgourd tells us more.

The old lady had accused me of lying before trying to take my scarf for herself. She even started screaming at me on the crosswalk before trying to take my scarf. I don't know if she was crazy or suffering delusions, but she claimed she was a cancer survivor and deserved the scarf. Thankfully, my grandmother, (she had knitted two dozen scarves) had figured out how to make them strong. My scarf is a little longer now, but it's still mine and the lady fell after losing the tug of war with me. I did outweigh her. I think she's okay, but I'm keeping an eye out every time I wear my scarf. Also, the only reason my grandma made the scarves was because she liked pink and was dying from her diabetes and bone cancer. But thanks for all the support and all the ironic statements.

Top comments

Weird_situations 13

What a bitch. I hope it didn't get ruined in the process. Sorry OP

Lee002 8

what a shame that someone would try to steal such a sentimental thing from you :(

Comments

I'm sure this'll sound paranoid or like I don't appreciate sentimental things but that's exactly why I keep stuff like that at home.

I've read of some similar incidents lately: people finding out they can't have something because it's handmade or old and the company has stopped selling it, and then they try to steal it off the person. I think that is what you get when little spoiled brats grow up: people who see "you can't get it anymore" as a challenge.

Maybe... She's your grandmothers lost grandchild an she didn't get one... *gasp* altho she was elderly. Hmm... I should have considered that

More likely a lost sister. I come from very prolific family.

What a bitch, I hope you called the cops.

Sounds like that old lady still has Black Friday Fever. I'd bet she's one of those people that doesn't mind trampling someone in a Wal-Mart for the last honey-baked ham.

The old lady had accused me of lying before trying to take my scarf for herself. She even started screaming at me on the crosswalk before trying to take my scarf. I don't know if she was crazy or suffering delusions, but she claimed she was a cancer survivor and deserved the scarf. Thankfully, my grandmother, (she had knitted two dozen scarves) had figured out how to make them strong. My scarf is a little longer now, but it's still mine and the lady fell after losing the tug of war with me. I did outweigh her. I think she's okay, but I'm keeping an eye out every time I wear my scarf. Also, the only reason my grandma made the scarves was because she liked pink and was dying from her diabetes and bone cancer. But thanks for all the support and all the ironic statements.

Seriously, I know it's horrible but if that were me I would've kicked her off! If she's willing to go crazy over a scarf, I can only imagine what would've happened if she wanted something more...

Cancer survivor or not, she sounds like a total maniac and to be honest I probably would have punched her in the face for trying to steal something that precious.

The lady probably suffers from something. At least you got away. be careful next time.

Kuro_Kamen 12

just FYI, you don't die from diabetes. Otherwise great for you op for standing your ground.

Since when have people been cured from diabetic complications? If it is extreme and not carefully regulated, yes you can die from it. It doesn't happen as often anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't.

littlered1221 3

My uncle passed due to complications from his diabetes so yes you can die from it.

@109, The extreme part isn't as true as the unregulated part. If you don't know about your diabetes or don't take great care towards it, you very well could die. However, well-regulated diabetes generally doesn't result in death or incredibly serious complications, at least for a few years.

ViviMage 38

I had cancer. I don't *Deserve* your scarf.

At the extreme end of diabetes, yes you can die. There are quite a few symptoms. Morbid obesity, necrosis of the extremities, renal failure, blindness, loss of mobility, dialysis, liver failure, brain atrophy, muscle atrophy, pancreatitis, pancreatic cancer, to which my sister is closing in on thanks to her unmanageable diabetes. My mother, my sister, and several of my aunts and my uncle all have diabetes, and most of them will die from it. So don't tell me you can't die from diabetes, jack ass!

yes you can die from diabetes. my grandfather died at the age of 62 from diabetes. he also lost his leg 5 years before he died due to diabetes.

luckygirl25582 8

FYI to you #108 she died from bone cancer not diabetes. Read the entire thing next time.

108 what you said is like saying you can't die from the cold. People die from both.

Bone cancer an she still knitted? Damn, she was a badass!

I've had two uncles die from diabetic complications. Their youngest sister is very ill and could die at any moment because of her diabetes. Also her husband had a stroke as a result of diabetic complications and he's barely 40. Don't tell me you can't die from diabetes.

agreed. you shoulda kicked her and told her to **** off

Excuse me, 108, but you may wish to check your facts. My sister-in-law is diabetic, and has almost died twice from issues resulting in improperly regulated insulin. It can be fatal if not carefully kept in check.

Sounds like an episode from Betty White's "Off their Rockers". sorry it had to happen to you op.