By riyaap13 - 23/02/2016 20:30 - United States - Gadsden

Today, while I was shopping, a girl walked past me and said, "Hola!" I'm Indian. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 843
You deserved it 3 236

riyaap13 tells us more.

Hey everyone, OP here! I just wanted to take this opportunity to explain a few things: 1) I am a female (not that it matters), and I am "India Indian" haha. 2) The reason why I was so offended by it was because she said it in almost a mocking tone. I also didn't like that she took one look at me and assumed that I was Mexican (not that there's anything wrong with being Mexican). I just don't believe in classifying people by how they look and automatically assuming they're a part of a certain ethnicity. 3) I have been taking Spanish for 3-4 years, so I can speak Spanish quite well. And I'm also so glad this got posted :)

Top comments

She was just being friendly. Just because you're Indian doesn't mean you can't speak Spanish.

^Believe it or not, not all Americans think like that. OP, there are some rude and ignorant people out there. Let's all just hope that she is the only one you'll have to deal with for a long time.

Comments

It's not that big of a deal. She probably just mistook you for someone who is Hispanic and tried to be friendly. I quite often get mistaken for being East Asian when I'm actually mostly white and some Hispanic. I don't get offended. Or maybe she just felt like saying hello in Spanish.

It's not the fact that I was mistaken for a Hispanic person, but the fact that she said it in mocking way. She said it in a way that would have offended even an actual Hispanic person.

Ah, I see. Saying it in a mocking tone is definitely rude so I understand why you were offended.

Like India Indian or indigenous to the United States? Because I'm just curious :)

That is a very valid point. Theres a distinct visual difference between the two.

so? i greet people in 4 languages. spanish, english, russian, and japanese.

aliciousness116 16

So what? I'm Indian and I speak fluent Spanish. What's wrong?

zeffra13 31

Saying hi in Spanish isn't necessarily assuming you're Hispanic. Maybe it's just how that person greets people. I do that all the time regardless of race, but maybe people are different in Alabama. Also what does being in the US have to do with not speaking Spanish?

Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave

How come THIS makes the front page, yet legitimate FMLs like my own don't?! (i.e. having a McDonalds employee who was clearly high hitting on my Mom, despite himself being no older then 25 and my mom being 45)

Don't feel too bad, OP ! People say Hola to me all the time and I'm French !

Beside FYL and YDI I would like to have an additional option like "Don't have a cow, it's not worth complaining". This FML really sounds like a minor misunderstanding.

I think I've said hola amigo to my American friend before, I don't really see how your life sucks.

Someone being nice enough to day HI to you is a horrible thing for you to experience? ? You need to reevaluate your life man.