By mackmackey - 18/05/2013 23:15 - United States - Phoenix

Today, while at hospital with a broken arm, I was asked to raise my hand onto the x-ray machine. I told the nurse I couldn't move it without extreme pain. She told me to suck it up, picked up my arm, and dropped it on the machine. I could feel the bone completely separate. FML
I agree, your life sucks 65 736
You deserved it 3 913

mackmackey tells us more.

hey OP here, thanks to many of you for suggesting a lawsuit, I'll consider it! Btw, it was at an urgent care and not a real hospital

Top comments

What. The. Hell. I sincerely hope you reported her.

hpdrew15 9

File a complaint with the hospital and lawsuit with the courts!!!

Comments

I smell a lawsuit in the air... That's sucks OP.

PrimeStarscream 30

I hope you reported her for aggravating an injury. What if you had a broken spine and she said "suck it up" and twisted you onto the table and crippled you? She could have ripped apart a vital artery in your arm and caused you to bleed to death internally on the x-ray table. REPORT HER!

Quiet_one 22

On the one hand, the limb has to be in position for the x-ray so the doctors can tell exactly what's going on with it in order to be able to fix it. On the other, the nurse needs to be gentle when dealing with these types of things. I'm leaning toward the OP's side. I had a similar (but not as bad) experience when I broke my wrist. I had no problem laying my arm flat on the table for the first shot, but then she asked me to turn it so they could get a side view. I said it hurt too much to rotate my wrist and I didn't want to do it (I was only 11 at the time), so she grabbed my hand and arm and turned it for me. It hurt like crazy and I started crying again, but I think in my case she was at least trying to be gentle. FYL, OP. Hope you feel better soon!

staceydv90 4

Report so she can be fired. That's bull

They are not supposed to move a trauma to get a side, or lateral, view, they are supposed to do what is called a cross table lateral, so they can do it with out making you move, or moving you.

iselinzilla 4

Yeah, a cross-table lateral hand. What page of Merrill's is that on? And how do you shoot that picture when the patient refuses to place their hand on the cassette? Please enlighten me with your skills. I want to learn from the master.

I learned out of Bontrager's, not Merrill's, but I'd have them lift their arm from the shoulder just enough to be able to slip a cassette under their hand and shoot it like that. Trauma cases are never easy, but this would have been doable without causing more pain to the patient.

Report that ****. No one who works in the medical field should treat people that way.

I once broke my leg (tib/fib) and the paramedics didn't realize it was broken in two places. When they lifted me onto the stretcher I watched and unfortunately felt my foot practically fall off. I know how much your life sucks OP :/ P.s. don't turn into a junky from the pain meds! Take only what you absolutely must. Suck it up best you can rather than chew pills like pez candy.

What a bitch! I hope you complained, lots. That said, radiographers are mean.

That shouldnt happen at all... She should be sued