By NykP - 02/10/2013 16:56 - United States - Mesa

Today, someone stole my card number and tried to use it. Every transaction got declined, not because the bank knew it was a fraudulent charge, but because I'm so poor that he couldn't make even a single purchase. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 571
You deserved it 3 901

NykP tells us more.

NykP 25

Hi, I'm the OP. For one, I certainly do not have an IPhone, I have an old brick that doesn't have data. Secondly, I actually have my account set up so I cannot be over-drafted so all of the charges got declined and I have already shut down the card. Now my card was not actually stolen, they were just using the numbers. I asked the bank how they could have gotten those and they couldn't give me a definitive answer. They said it's as easy as your waitress could have copied the numbers and is using it online or something got hacked. Thirdly, I have no money because I am just a poor college student. I work two jobs but with the cost of school I have nothing left to keep in my account. I do not have a house, I am living in a little room at my grandparents. I do have a cat, but I buy large bags of food and it lasts him like three months. I do not have any children. I was certainly laughing at the stupid person who would try to steal from me.

Top comments

NykP 25

Thank you all for your positive comments. It is more of just holding out until graduation. I am poor right now but I have absolutely no debt. I am on my fifth year of college, because I am finishing up my second degree, and I haven't had to take out a single loan yet. The consequences of not taking out any loans is that my bank account almost never has any money in it, but at least I pay all my bills and I am not in debt.

Comments

well at least there wasnt an overdraft fee.

The person who tried to steal your money must feel so unlucky.. And atleast you get to laugh at them for getting owned :)

I feel you OP. I wouldnt bother if my card was stolen. Theres nothing to steal! haha But seriously, you really gotta be careful when you're out and about. You get people pickpocketing for a living and they're damn good at it too.

Sounds like you got the last laugh OP. And chances are they were caught on camera using your card. The thief will get what's coming to them.

there was no money but. the theif probably thought you cancelled it right away.

The bank usually reverses fraudulent charges, so the "loaded" person would not be out too much. Besides, most "loaded" people do not keep all their assets in the bank. It is a lot harder to recover from theft if you are already poor.

At least you didn't loose anything! Keep your head up! You will do fine

That would suck if he just deposited a paycheck. That would suck to "loose"

Sorry to hear about that, OP! At least he couldn't pay for anything!

jw90 18

Hey at least you're not losing any money.