By martin1022 - 05/10/2016 11:29 - United States

Today, recent construction has created a manhole that cars slam over every single morning. This normally starts at 4 a.m. as people make their early commute on my busy street. With every car that hits it, there's a huge echoing slamming noise. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 673
You deserved it 918

Same thing different taste

Top comments

MacGyver your way out of this. Time to duct tape a yoga mat over that sucker.

Here, maybe this'll be more your speed: "Today, I spent 16 hours working the fields for the food I eat while still unable to get regular access to clean water, education, or medical aid. If I'm lucky, I'll be groomed to fight in the same theocratic army that has terrorized my family for all six years of my life. FML"

Comments

Park your car over the manhole so everyone has to drive around it. Problem solved.

Steve95401 49

The manhole is in the road. If OP parks her car there, it will quickly get smashed, towed or both.

You'll never sleep in again. Which in some cases, people need.

I suppose the only thing to do now is adjust your schedule to go to sleep at 8 p.m. Sharp for a good night's 8 hour sleep. On the other hand, #1's advice is about 1000 times better than mine.

Here, maybe this'll be more your speed: "Today, I spent 16 hours working the fields for the food I eat while still unable to get regular access to clean water, education, or medical aid. If I'm lucky, I'll be groomed to fight in the same theocratic army that has terrorized my family for all six years of my life. FML"

MoroseMoose 47

Maybe a white noise machine would help drown out the sound?

Remember that scene in Toy Story where they hide under cones to cross the street? You know what to do

Except that he's not trying to cross the road...

Oh man, same thing is happening to me, just a bit further away, but still annoying! I feel your pain OP

MacGyver your way out of this. Time to duct tape a yoga mat over that sucker.

You actually would need to place the yoga mat between the manhole cover and the flange it sits on as the sound is coming from the loose cover moving on the flange

So is the noise coming from the fact it is hollow or that the manhole cover is loose in the hole? I know this may seem like an arbitrary distinction...but I have some ideas. If the construction has made it a permanent manhole, you could use a silicon based putty around the outside to make it fit more snugly (not to seal it shut, although I doubt anyone could prove that was you). If it's the hollowness...I don't know if putting sandbags underneath may absorb some of the noise. That one is less of an option if the construction is on going. You could just drag something heavy and flat over it every night, which I assume would buy you some time before the construction workers removed it every morning. But a crowbar and the cover of night, with an Macgyver imagination and dedication to sleep...can really achieve amazing things.

I think the OP owes you a consulting fee. You put a lot of work into your comment.

It's caused by either the cover or the frame it sits on being not exactly co planar (flat). So the cover wobbles a bit in its frame. Your solution of putting some putty might work. But you would have to pull up the cover and put the putty between the lid and the frame. However as an engineer who designs roads I can in no way recommend doing this from a safety standpoint and it might even break a law or ordnance by doing so. I would go talk to either the construction workers or the city and see if they can fix it for you.

Someone need to fix that, complain. I have moved three times now and been followed by the same construction company... pure coincidence but drives me crazy...