By Dissent21 - 05/06/2015 21:29 - United States - Boise

Today, one of my two roommates moved out without warning after we discovered that the rent hadn't been paid in full in a month, the utility bill hadn't been paid in two months, and the electric bill hadn't been paid in three months. We found out when the power was turned off. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 121
You deserved it 3 976

Dissent21 tells us more.

I didn't really just "assume". We'd had a long conversation about who was going to be paying what bills, and we had an established system. I thought. She just sort of... didn't hold up her end, and then didn't tell me there was a problem.

Top comments

I guess you could say he left you in the dark about it

Sorry but you kinda deserve it... You should definitely pay more attention to bills like that and keep up with them! Never just assume someone else is paying it. ;)

Comments

I find it strange that it took that long for the power to be shut off...hope everything goes well OP and your new roommate(s) are better

I think people were pressing ydi because they thought that op just wasn't paying the bills, or that op should've been making sure the bills were paid and wasn't just relying on the other person. I don't think people realized at first that op was the one just renting the room and giving the money to the other roommate for him to pay. I completely agree with you though, it's not op's fault. And for the ones saying that op should've been checking that the bills were being paid, I think they're being unrealistic. When you have roommates there's a certain level of trust you have. You assume that if the roommates name is on the lease then they'd be paying the bills. You're not expecting that someone's going to screw themselves with getting the power turned off, getting evicted, and screwing up their own credit.

I pressed YDI because OP wasn't verifying the bills were paid. It's like the saying goes. Trust but verify.

That's why it isn't just one persons job to pay the bills. You split the responsibility

gintwinsmoore 20

yet that's exactly what happened...that's why they should be even more responsible because ppl are funny and sometimes even more irresponsible than you are. you gotta have a back up plan so this doesn't happen again.

so I'm assuming he was the reason behind all the late and missing payments? fyl op :/ try to bring him to small claims court or something

How do you even let bills get that out of hand in the first place?! I can't imagine.

It's pretty simple. If you're taking care of a shared bill, you post the proof of payment on the fridge when it's been paid. Everyone who has kicked in can see the paper and know without a doubt that it's been paid. There are also tons of websites and apps for exactly this scenario. DivItUp.com, WeSplit.It, WhoseBill.com, SplitWise.com Keeping people honest on that kind of thing isn't rocket science.

bad_boyfriend 10

To all the people saying OP deserved it. My Ex was in a similar situation but was paying her half of all the bills and still got ****** over like this. Even though her roommate hasn't paid his rent in two months, the apartment manager had been applying her half of the rent to the past due portion her roommate was supposed to pay, without sending any notice that rent had not been paid.

TRexYouUp 8

And that's why roommates are a bad idea.

What? That's absurd. Most people don't live with roommates just for fun, they do it because they can't afford to live on their own.