By Anonymous - 22/03/2009 02:36 - United States

Today, one of my co-workers invited me to a cookout at her house with some other people from my new job. She said to wear my suit. Assuming she had a pool, I showed up in a bikini, only to find everyone else wearing business attire and staring at me like I had lost my mind. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 039
You deserved it 69 608

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why would they be wearing business suits to a cookout? Who does that?

Not so much an FML, you should have asked her to specify. You'll be made fun of, and laughed at about it later.. I suggest when that time comes make a snazzy comment like "Well, I stood out and I had the best outfit there. Always expect me to make an entran (e(insert wink he) e)" Don't dwell on it too much, it'll drive you insane.

Comments

Around here when someone says 'suit' they can mean 'bathing suit'. If I was invited to a backyard BBQ, I would assume a bathing suit as well. If someone had meant a business suit, usually 'suit and tie' is said. I don't blame you for misunderstanding... but why would you only be wearing a bathing suit? I'd have worn it underneath regular clothes or brought it along with me so I could change back into my dry clothes after swimming.

ecce 20

Around here too, especially since most of us live nearly on the beach...

And to think that all this could have been avoided had you only asked "What kind of suit?"

Did the boss see you? Maybe you'll get a 'raise';)

...or maybe he will get a "raise" :-P

I mean, maybe she should have clarified, but I have NEVER heard of people wearing business attire to a cookout - it tends to be a casual affair, so how can you blame her for assuming a swimsuit is appropriate? At least where I live, people say "suit" rather than swimsuit...more often than not, in fact.

at least you did not think birthday suit and assume she is a nudist? lol.

it says that it's co-workers that went to the cookout so obv it was like a work thing so that explains why they were all wearing suits. on that note, you fail for wearing a bathing suit.

kellster 2

I think that if someone said "suit" to me, as a female, I would be forced to ask what kind of suit they meant. I just associate the term "suit" with man-suits. Sure, there are woman-suits too, but the term itself is confusing. If I was just assuming one kind of suit, it would be the business kind, however. People normally call the bikini type a "bathing suit" or "swimsuit". You should have asked about this one. Also, who wears a bikini around co-workers??