By Anonymous - 22/03/2009 02:36 - United States

Today, one of my co-workers invited me to a cookout at her house with some other people from my new job. She said to wear my suit. Assuming she had a pool, I showed up in a bikini, only to find everyone else wearing business attire and staring at me like I had lost my mind. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 039
You deserved it 69 608

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why would they be wearing business suits to a cookout? Who does that?

Not so much an FML, you should have asked her to specify. You'll be made fun of, and laughed at about it later.. I suggest when that time comes make a snazzy comment like "Well, I stood out and I had the best outfit there. Always expect me to make an entran (e(insert wink he) e)" Don't dwell on it too much, it'll drive you insane.

Comments

AntiChrist7 0

a suit how difficult is it to understand that.

herheartsuck 0

haaha well you were clearly wearing something on top of the bikini i'mn sure it wasn't nearly as awkward as you'd have us believe

omg i feel you. i would have done the same thing.. suit at a cookout? the person who invited you should have said work attire to be more specific.

starbaby 0

I can understand this. When I have a pool party type thing or cookout I say being/wear your suit and no one shows up in a tie! But if you were not wearing anything over the bikini that's just weird and awkward even for a pool cookout

pics or it didn't happen! But seriously, "wear a suit" (in reference to a friggin' cook out anyway) is totally short hand for bathing suit in the minds of a great deal of people.

Spiffy 0

Agree with #7!!! and every one else who said who wears business suits to a cookout?

i think if the hostess wanted office attire... she should have said "office attire". who casually says wear your suit, if they mean your three peice suit you wear to the office? ... i would think swim suit.... but i would also ask if her pool was heated and then the truth would have come out. oh well... no big deal

ok so your coworker invited you to a cookout, and said "wear your suit". lemme sum up what i think your thought process was: 1) wear a suit? what does she mean? 2) ohh she probably has a pool! 3) ok, so by "suit" she probably means "bikini" 4) so i'll just show up at the cookout in my bikini and nothing else. and to let me sum up everyone's feelings here: 1) you shouldn't have assumed she had a pool, therefore coming to the conclusion she meant "bathing suit". when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U not ME. =) 2) a simple "what do you mean?" would suffice to clarify the meaning. 3) yes, business attire at a cookout is a little unorthodox, but so is referring to a bikini as "suit". 4) even if she DID mean swimsuit, you basically wear nothing over it? not even casual wear? that goes against all rules of common sense. lol i can see it now.. "Today, I invited a coworker to a cookout. I told her to wear a suit. She came in a bikini in front of everyone in the department. In my backyard. FML"

kandy_fml 0

I remember approving this one when I was moderating. I also remember thinking, "You deserved this one. If she had a pool and wanted everyone to wear their swimsuits, she would have said so" Don't assume.

But she did say so. Who in their right mind thinks that suit in the context of a cookout would mean business suit?

phan1 0

i knew that "suit" really means suit.... not swimsuit and you wouldn't just showed up there wearing bikini, dont u put clothes first before actually wearing the bikini? did u made the story up or what?