By Imagino1234 - 02/06/2016 16:32 - Canada - Victoria

Today, my professor called me out for drinking whiskey in class. I was actually drinking iced tea. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 321
You deserved it 944

Imagino1234 tells us more.

OP here. Most of the time, students like me have been able to get away with bringing food and drinks to class as long as 1) we don't make a huge mess. 2) we don't bring anything alcoholic (unless it's a final class celebration thing, but even then there's more food than wine). 3) we stay away from the computer labs. If we weren't allowed to bring food and drinks to class, there would be a lot of tired and cranky people who would wonder why there are so many coffee stands on campus if no one's allowed to bring something caffeinated to perk them up in morning classes. In case anyone's wondering, I was drinking raspberry flavoured Real Leaf iced tea; it's a popular brand on campus, so I even I'm confused why my prof didn't recognize it as iced tea.

Top comments

It's FMLs like these that really make me wonder why there isn't a "School" category by now.

"Stop drinking whiskey, you!" "It's iced tea." "OK, nevermind." Man, I'm not sure how you'll ever recover from that.

Comments

That's odd, why did he assume it was whiskey? On the color of the beverage alone? And even if you were, why would he care?

CrassKal 27

It says work as a category, so if he is an employee it would be his business if he were consuming alcohol. And even if he is only a student professors have the right to set rules for their classroom and likely want to avoid a disorderly drunk or at the very least a poor example to his pupils.

CrassKal 27

Not that it justifies the allegations, just answering why he would care.

Long and short? Alcohol causes safety problems that can become legal problems. Even if the teacher took the time to simply smell the drink to tell that it wasn't whiskey, classrooms (unless they are ones where chemicals are used on a regular basis) are lucky to get anything more than a half assed sweep maybe once a month. Three months was the common period between clean ups on the college campus I went to. So food and drink residue can quickly become a health hazard, or simply incredibly uncomfortable, which means many teachers and professors do NOT want them in their classrooms.

I agreed with you until you said "why would he care?" I'm sure professors won't like it when one of their students is drinking whiskey while they're giving out a lecture

Not sure how cheap the schools were where you went, #6, but I've worked as a custodian in several schools in my area. We did way more than a "half-assed sweep". If there was spilled drinks, we had to mop it that night. Not saying all places have full time staff that are able to do that, though.

Sounds like that's a regular occurance (from others. Not you)

You mean other people sneaking booze to class? Not that I'm aware of.

Maybe of other people being mistaking of bringing in booze

Looks like he/she knows what whiskey looks like and thinks of it first, not familiar with tea.

It's FMLs like these that really make me wonder why there isn't a "School" category by now.

Maybe because the "work" category is broad on this site

Are you aloud to in school (not alcohol)? My school does not let us drink anything because people kept sneaking whisky in.

OP here. Most of the time, students like me have been able to get away with bringing food and drinks to class as long as 1) we don't make a huge mess. 2) we don't bring anything alcoholic (unless it's a final class celebration thing, but even then there's more food than wine). 3) we stay away from the computer labs. If we weren't allowed to bring food and drinks to class, there would be a lot of tired and cranky people who would wonder why there are so many coffee stands on campus if no one's allowed to bring something caffeinated to perk them up in morning classes. In case anyone's wondering, I was drinking raspberry flavoured Real Leaf iced tea; it's a popular brand on campus, so I even I'm confused why my prof didn't recognize it as iced tea.

Wow what a coincidence, that's the exact kind of tea I'm drinking right now!

@36, The poster (#8) of the comment. He said 'aloud' instead of 'allowed'

I wanted to do that so badly, but I already exhausted my daily correction ALLOWance.

That's why you don't use a flask...simple logic I always used a one that you couldn't see through so I could get by with anything

It was a clear bottle with the "Real Leaf" brand on the label. It's also raspberry flavoured.

What did you say to him/what was his reaction to it being tea? Also, was it a good brand of tea? We need details here OP.

"Stop drinking whiskey, you!" "It's iced tea." "OK, nevermind." Man, I'm not sure how you'll ever recover from that.

TMO2142 25

Sounds like the professor is feeling guilty

so if you was drinking water I guess u was drinking "vodka"

ambitiousnerd 16

That actually happened when I was in middle school. A couple of kids brought Vodka in water bottles and passed it off as water and the teachers didn't realize it. They ended up having to go to the hospital.