By _Tater_Tot_ - 03/04/2015 16:39 - United States - Anniston

Today, my mom let me know that I'll have to spend my entire tax return on replacing my car brakes. The reason I need new brakes is because almost every single time she uses the car, she floors the gas while the parking brake is still on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 397
You deserved it 2 696

_Tater_Tot_ tells us more.

_Tater_Tot_ 20

To answer some responses Im a girl and I don't put the parking brake on, my mom happens to somehow put it on whilst driving and she does not notice the light on the dashboard :/

Top comments

Mom needs to a) let her son keep his tax money that her son is entitled to, and b) mom needs to pay to have the breaks replaced herself . Good luck OP.

huh. with the brakes on you'd think she wouldn't have trouble stopping the habit. sorry, OP!

Comments

Beget be glad you don't need a new transmission too!

Dont let your mom use your car. Problem solved. Thats what my brother did

Tell her to stop doing that because it is getting expensive or tell her to pay for at least a little bit of it, but if that doesn't work out you shouldn't even allow her the privileges of riding your car anymore. Sorry OP.

I would fight that like crazy with my mom! I understand why you should pay for your own brakes so you know the value of money. But I would still be very annoyed!

Whilst yes, I agree, knowing the value of money is important, but OP wasn't the one who messed with the brakes, it was the mother, hence why OP shouldn't have to know the value of money in this case, the mother needs to know how to respect other people's things and replace when they break it.

_Tater_Tot_ 20

To answer some responses Im a girl and I don't put the parking brake on, my mom happens to somehow put it on whilst driving and she does not notice the light on the dashboard :/

Have you talked to her about it at all OP? I would sit down and have a nice chat with her about the parking brake and ask if she could pay since she is the one ruining them.

drayloon 50

Your mom is probably used to having the parking brake on, so she may naturally press the pedal/pull the handle when she starts the car, but I'm really not sure how she confuses the on/off settings. They're usually pretty obvious.

Yup definitely sounds like your typical Alabama driver. No signal, not paying attention to the dash light, not knowing what "right of way" is. It's an adventure just leaving your house down here.

Op, changing break pads is not very hard watch a few tutorials on youtube. I'm 16 and they helped me out and i dont have to dish out tons to get them changed.

Sounds just like every California, Colorado, New York, South Carolina, Massachusetts. Pennsylvania, Florida, and Louisiana driver I've encountered. Drivers suck everywhere.

stuner56 22

103, it's not the fact it's hard, but she has to spend HER money when it was her mom who messed up

I think what #103 was trying to say was do a cheaper and alternative way and buy new breaks and change them herself. But that also depends if OP wants to do that.

I will agree, brakes are a very simple job, especially if they're disk, and they should only run you between 20 and 30 bucks for a whole set. At least it will save you some money if you can't get her to pay for the repair herself.

Pa driver here #105, and that isn't true. Most of us don't suck at driving, and as for OP brakes aren't that hard to fix

you should really use the parking brake, even when not parking on a hill. If the parking pawl in your transmission wears out, then putting it in park is no different from neutral... and getting -that- fixed will cost way more than a few brake jobs. Just forbid your mother from driving the car until she learns better. Take the keys with you. Its your car, isn't it?

If you ******* understand why is that buried god damn i was tryna be helpful.

How in the hell do you not notice pulling up a lever at your side.

In a published survey, over 75% of drivers feel their skills are "above average." So it can be safely said that most people inaccurately estimate their driving ability.

I know she is your mom and all but she sounds like a lazy bitch

Hey. Let's take it easy commenters, you don't see the mom demanding payment for damages to her vaginal birth canal. If it's his car and his money, I wouldn't say YDI but it's just normal responsibility that comes with a car. Dictate how it's used and repaired.

HisGirl2015 5

But she did the damage to his car, therefore she should have to pay for it.

leogachi 15

I wish parents would stop using "if it weren't for me you wouldn't be here" as an excuse for their stupidity. A baby isn't responsible for "damages" to their mother, but a RESPONSIBLE driver should be willing to pay for damages they cause to a vehicle.

you are an absolute idiot, op didn't just decide to be born and make that choice, her parents brought her here. If you break someone's property, you should be prepared to pay, even if it is your child's. if my mum or dad reversed into my car or destroyed the brakes like this, guess what? I sure as hell ain't covering the costs of repair, they'll be the ones to cover the repair bill. common sense