By Betrayed - 31/07/2009 09:35 - United States

Today, my family took me to a wig store saying I wouldn't feel so insecure about being bald because of my chemo treatments. When I told them I accepted myself and didn't want a wig, they came out and told me THEY couldn't accept it. My own family is embarrassed of me over something I can't control. FML
I agree, your life sucks 102 216
You deserved it 4 014

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Two things: First:congrats for your strenght and courage, half the healing process is a mental one, when you know you're gonna make it, you WILL make it! Keep fighting and it will be allright. Second, maybe what is embarrassing your family isn't your illness but the sheer fact that you're ill and that they can't to anything to help you. It's not something they can themselves battle against and it may hurt them a lot to see you without hair, a constant reminder that even if they are your family they can't protect you from everything.. I don't know how to say it in english but : Je t'envoie plein de bonnes ondes, courage!

Janelle561 0

She has cancer, and all you can comment is you just got owned by your family? Heartless much

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Janelle561 0

She has cancer, and all you can comment is you just got owned by your family? Heartless much

Jae87 0

#1 you suck. OP you're family consists of a bunch of assholes.

Two things: First:congrats for your strenght and courage, half the healing process is a mental one, when you know you're gonna make it, you WILL make it! Keep fighting and it will be allright. Second, maybe what is embarrassing your family isn't your illness but the sheer fact that you're ill and that they can't to anything to help you. It's not something they can themselves battle against and it may hurt them a lot to see you without hair, a constant reminder that even if they are your family they can't protect you from everything.. I don't know how to say it in english but : Je t'envoie plein de bonnes ondes, courage!

I agree - at first glance it's a pretty assholish thing for them to do, but there's a difference between being embarrassed by the reminder of your illness and being distressed by it.

I really have to agree with this, when my mom was undergoing chemo treatments a couple years ago I was really freaked out and scared when I'd see her bald head. I knit her a ton of hats to wear when she didn't feel like wearing her wig since she really hated it, but actually seeing just a few scraggly hairs was really kind of scary. I doubt your family is embarrassed of you, they're probably scared sick at the constant reminder that you're so ill. I suspect they want to be there for you and support you, but are having a really hard time staying strong.

There are some really great episodes of Desperate Housewives when Lynette had cancer that address this theme.

jmh1125 0

i totally agree..your family probably is just having a difficult time accepting the fact that you have cancer. Stay strong, best of luck!

I agree.. Your family isn't necessarily embarrassed by you, but seeing you without hair makes them feel helpless since they can't do anything about your situation. Some people feel nervous around sick people and it probably just made your family more comfortable to see you look slightly more healthy. I really hope they aren't that superficial..

I'm so sorry OP! I wish you didn't have to go through that! no body should have to!

#6 said "i wish you only the best".. Pretty much.. Easier and more accurately translated into Spanish than English:/ but yeah, pretty much that is what he said.. OP.. I agree with these people.. Having a reminder of your illness, such as being bald, is hard for a lot of loved ones to bare.. I wish you the best..

Ninjasaurus18 9

Don't know how to say it in English? So you're French, right? You speak better English than most of the people who speak English as their first language...

"I'm sending you lots of good vibes" is the english translation.

ha42 0

maybe they don't like seeing you that way because it makes them sad that you're sick...or they're just assholes who should be ashamed of themselves.

That's depressing. They should be ashamed of THEMSELVES. You have to get chemo therapy. That isn't your fault. They're supposed to support you, not put you down. FYL.

Donthavekids 0

And who pays for the chemo? Least she could do is put a wig on.

How do you know the OP doesn't pay for the chemo, or have health insurance that does?

Who gets the chemo? Its her own decision.

coolster56 0

good choice lets see should I go on chemo and have a very very strong chance of living or leave it and die in a few years

I trust you told them to go **** themselves

simplyfucked 0

good luck with the chemo, and screw the family. Go out and buy a bunch of pink, orange and blue wigs. thats what i'd do and make sure that they match your shirt/ outfit. then see how comfortable they would feel.

idgafSOstfu 15

Might as well look like Nicki Minaj.