By Anonymous - 17/07/2016 17:31

Today, my elderly coworker was telling me about a long-lost friend, so I helped her use the Internet to look the friend up. We found her. Specifically, her obituary. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 290
You deserved it 1 026

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's very sad for your friend. It really sucks how often that is the case for people as they get older. It's not highly surprising, but of course that doesn't make it any easier or less sad.

Oh dear. You know, this is something that isn't often talked about regarding getting old, seeing your friends pass on as you age, especially when you get to be her age. I guess it's something I've come to better accept with having older parents and several classmates that have already passed even though I'm still quite young. Several of my newspaper subscribers tell me the main reason they still subscribe and request holds while they are out of town is for the obituaries. Don't feel bad about it, OP. Of course, feel your sympathy for her, but don't think your desire to help just brought her upset. If she's elderly there's a strong likelihood she already expected that her friend had passed.

Comments

Well console her while she goes through this time and move on as friends. Maybe she'll thank you for helping her through her tough time

At least she doesn't have to wonder about her friend anymore, right? You helped her find closure, just not the way you intended. Death is a natural part of life. As we age, more and more of our contemporaries pass away. Last month I attended the funeral of my first love. I'm not even 40 yet.

I turned 50 recently, I expect that this is going to start happening more and more when I look up long-lost friends and classmates on the internet. :-/

This happened to me once, except I found my husband's father. Who had recently been murdered....

I'm pretty sure this is an fml for her. not for you.